CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Snake crawling under my top and deodorant/perfume

Old 12-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
angelcornsnake
Snake crawling under my top and deodorant/perfume

Hello,

As I spend more time with my snake I have more and more silly questions.

She's around six months now but still quite small. She likes to slither around me, my neck, hide in my hair, crawl under my top, up my sleeve. I like all this but till today I never thought that it might be harmful. I researched the internet but found no information.

After she crawled around my neck, arm and back, she came out and she started pressing her head on my hand in a way that it was a lot wider and flatter. She was pressing the head normally, not the side or the top, but the underneath. As if she's crawling but really pressing hard.

This made me think that something could be wrong. While she was crawling around under my top I was pressing my arm so that she doesn't slither under my armpit, being cautious of any deodorant spray but she might have caught some at the edge of my armpit. I put her in a pool of water to rinse her a bit and she stopped doing it but in general she was very jumpy and strange.

I'm terrified I might have harmed her by letting her hide inside my clothes . Just watching her for now.

If anybody knows about how safe it is for snakes to be in contact with human skin with possible deodorant or even perfume present, I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts.

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 12-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Snakes love warm places. It's only natural they will crawl down your sleeve, or get up under your arms or wherever it's nice and warm.

This is my snake when he was quite young (about 2 years ago) in my sleeve, but he managed to turn himself around and was peeping out at me. (I had to take the picture).

He's older and bigger now, but still likes to do this.

All snakes like to do this, so I would not worry about it. Just try not to forget he's in there, and then sit on him. Now that could be harmful.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
angelcornsnake
Haha!!! That is sooo cute!!! Yes she loves it and I like it too. I always place my hand over her just to remember that she's there for the exact reason you mentioned in your comment! She seems fine now but anyway. I always wonder though whether all these creams/deodorants/perfumes we put on our skin might harm them if they crawl on us.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Twolunger
Well, you certainly have some questions that are thought provoking. Many antiperspirants do contain aluminum salts. Your little girl may have stuck out her tongue and didn't like the odor or taste. Most deodorants only contain an antimicrobial to kill bacteria. I doubt that there will be any lingering effects. Having said that, I do handle my snakes, but let them slither on my hands and arms, areas I can quickly wash after handling them. You do know that your corn will be slithering through feces eventually, and your husband may have something to say about her slithering about your neck and back. LOL.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Well, you certainly have some questions that are thought provoking. Many antiperspirants do contain aluminum salts. Your little girl may have stuck out her tongue and didn't like the odor or taste. Most deodorants only contain an antimicrobial to kill bacteria. I doubt that there will be any lingering effects. Having said that, I do handle my snakes, but let them slither on my hands and arms, areas I can quickly wash after handling them. You do know that your corn will be slithering through feces eventually, and your husband may have something to say about her slithering about your neck and back. LOL.
Lolol!!! Very true!! I know. I only handle her this way in the evening before I have a shower so it won't be a problem. For the time being I've been quite lucky to be honest with her poop the last two times. I haven't mentioned it here before but I try to time it to two days after she's fed. Ithen handle her and but I'm prepared so when she lifts her tail I move her swiftly over some paper towel to do her business so the viv has been clean for a couple of weeks . Lol!! Snake walkies haha!! I know it won't last but it's nice to avoid soiling in the viv if I can time it right!

Regarding skincare products I'm sceptical. I'd rather avoid getting her in contact with anything like that.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
April0684
I've worried about this too. I err on the side of being careful as well.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by April0684 View Post
I've worried about this too. I err on the side of being careful as well.
Yeah, better safe than sorry. It's hard to know want might harm them...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google