• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH and tubs?

turn

Just thinking about getting a plastic tub when my snake gets bigger. I have a thermostat, but i heard some people put it on a ceramic tile, how does that work? Pics? Thanks!!

Never heard the ceramic tile thing myself.

I can tell you it would take about 140 degrees to start affecting PVC Plastics, and 500 degrees to affect PET Plastics, and all other plastics would lie somewhere in between. (Courtesy of a Google search).

If you're worried about your heat mat melting the plastic tub, your snake would most likely be dead from the heat first, but I suppose it could happen.

You stated you have a thermostat. If you set it to the correct temps, it should never get hot enough to hurt the snake or melt the plastic.

There are several folks here that use heat pads and/or heat tape along with plastic tubs, and I've not heard anyone mention anything about using ceramic tiles.

They do actually make ceramic heat panels that people sometime use for reptiles, but they are generally used overhead.

I think the ceramic tile suggestion was to hold up a heat pad that kept coming loose from the bottom of the vivarium. I've used Flexwatt heat tape on my PVC racks for years and never had a problem. I also have the ZooMed heat cable on two of the racks. I don't trust any electrical devices when it comes to my snakes, so have thermostats, and also have thermometers with high temp alarms. I test them frequently and change their batteries often too.

People would attach UTH's or heat tape to the bottom of ceramic tiles making a sort of heat rock.
I personally wouldn't use a tub for a single snake. I would want it "displayed" for viewing enjoyment.
I've built a lot of racks over the years and never liked the idea of a heat source under (or in) the plastic tubs. I used back heat and only genuine Flexwatt.

Back