CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

room temperature?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
cornsnakeforsale_com
I keep pretty much all of mine at room temp except for brumation or during the winter if they're not brumating. I'm sitting at 78-83 usually otherwise.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
EGallup628
This has been SO helpful to read. I'm a new owner of a beautiful little baby corn and I've been SO stressed about the temperatures for him. I'm in Southern California though so it's been HOT here outside. I was afraid to turn his heat mat off, but I just checked the temp on that side and it's way too hot. I'm thinking I'll just leave it off for the summer time when it's warm and then turn it on when the weather starts to cool down. Going to feed him for the first time tomorrow so hopefully he'll go for it right away! Great info on this forum! Glad you experienced people are here!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #13
Giga
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGallup628 View Post
This has been SO helpful to read. I'm a new owner of a beautiful little baby corn and I've been SO stressed about the temperatures for him. I'm in Southern California though so it's been HOT here outside. I was afraid to turn his heat mat off, but I just checked the temp on that side and it's way too hot. I'm thinking I'll just leave it off for the summer time when it's warm and then turn it on when the weather starts to cool down. Going to feed him for the first time tomorrow so hopefully he'll go for it right away! Great info on this forum! Glad you experienced people are here!
Hey there

While, as has been shown in this thread, it's perfectly fine to keep snakes at room temperature if said room is warm enough, I personally would be more careful about babies; their little bodies are so tiny that they are much more susceptible to changes in the temps around them - they warm up and cool down much more quickly and have less control over it, so make sure there is absolutely no doubt that your room will not get too cool, especially during digestion.

Also, I am curious as to why your set-up was getting too warm with the heat mat present? A properly statted heat mat will always turn itself off when the ambient temperature is above the temperature the stat is set too, and just sit there not giving off any heat, so while it can't cool the setup down, it can't make it too hot either. Only mentioning it as food for thought - maybe you could make sure that your thermostat is working correctly and is set to the correct temp

Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
john2005
Hello everyone,

Ive just recieved my first baby corn today and am very worried about getting the temp right, I live in London and its getting cold now so at the moment its 8c outside, inside my RUB its at 22c on the warm side and I have had the mat on for 6 hours so not sure its gonna get any hotter, Im really worried about leaving him overnight as temp will drop another few celcius, 22c is 72f, help please.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
Karl_Mcknight
"Any heat source" should be used along with a thermostat. You did not state if you had a thermostat or what it was set to. Set the thermostat to the correct temp. The heat pad should be under the bottom of the cage. If you have the heat pad mounted correctly and the thermostat set correctly, the temp should be ok.

72 F is ok for the cool side of the cage (room temp) but the warm side should be 83 to 86 F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005 View Post
............ I have had the mat on for 6 hours so not sure its gonna get any hotter, Im really worried about leaving him overnight as temp will drop another few celcius, 22c is 72f, help please.
The heat pad is "Not going to raise the Air Temp inside the entire cage." It simply heats one spot, that's the spot where it is located. If you are reading the temps inside of the cage from a little thermometer stuck to the side, you are doing it incorrectly. You need to take your temperature reading directly on the bottom spot of the cage where the heat pad is located.

My guess is you're going to find it's probably way too hot if you have the mat plugged in for 6 hours without a thermostat. Some of those heat pad can hit 140 degrees. Beware!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
john2005
Hello Karl,

The pet shop didnt seem to think I would need a stat and said the 7 kw mat would be fine.

I have a therm stuck on the side at the middle of the box like I was told by the pet shop, I realised this is not really giving me a correct floor temp so made a hole for a probe about 1 inch from the floor, its now reading 23c 73f in the warm end. I will get a stat tomorrow definately.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
john2005
I'm not sure if I made too many holes also, I have 40 holes in the warm side and 50 in the cool side and also 6 holes on the lid, I have a towel drapped over the lid and side of the RUB and have now covered 20 holes in the warm end which has stopped the temp falling more.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #18
Karl_Mcknight
I won't argue with you. This will be my last post on the subject. "Pet Shops" are notorious for giving bad advice, especially for keeping snakes. Just as the heater in your car or home has a thermostat, so should the heater for your caged animals.

Those little 7 kw heat pads as you stated do in fact get too hot for snakes.

Snakes do not fly through the air or crawl on the side of the cage. A thermometer mounted on the side of the cage is useless. It simply tells you what the temp is on the side of the cage, where the snake "Does not live." The snake lives on the bottom of the cage and the temp should be read directly over the heat pad.

Without a thermostat, the heat pad stays on all the time, and as I've already stated, some of them can hit 140 degrees or more.

If you will read through the other posts about "Heat, Temperature, Thermostats, etc" all over this website, you'll find that "Most" of the folks here do exactly what I have already told you.

The ones that don't, and want to argue about it, and refer back to what the Pet Shop owner told them usually come back in a few weeks whining about "Why is my snake sick or dead."

It's your snake. Do it your way. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
john2005
Jesus, Karl mate who is arguing?

I've literally picked up my first snake and was looking for a friendly forum with no arseholes that think newbies lesser than them.

Thanks for the advice (nothing that I already didnt know btw) I think I'll for a different forum to look for someone who will help without about it.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #20
john2005
Was meant to say at the without being a d i c k about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google