• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

????????

tbrent1

My amel female is laying right now my question is how will i know she is done and all the ones she has so far look great but she has laid them in a big pile and i think by the time she is done they will all be stuck together How do i incubate these with out burying the bottom ones completely? Thanks this is my first time and i don't want to screw anything up

tbrent1 said:
My amel female is laying right now my question is how will i know she is done and all the ones she has so far look great but she has laid them in a big pile and i think by the time she is done they will all be stuck together How do i incubate these with out burying the bottom ones completely? Thanks this is my first time and i don't want to screw anything up

Well first of all congrats on your first clutch!

What I would do in your case would be to wait until tomorrow morning and check on her. Look at her and see if you can tell if she is done. It is pretty easy to see that she is skinny about th vent. If she looks to be done then you can go in and take out the eggs.

I know that you can separate the eggs but I wouldn't do that. What I did when I had a clump of eggs was to make a space in the middle of the vermiculite and placed them in the open space. Then I moved the vermiculite back around the eggs. I do not think there is a big problem with covering up the eggs. Sometimes people bury them completely. Just see what you have tomorrow and then do what you think works best.

Good luck!

I bury mine completely in the perlite with just the top ones sticking out a bit. They do just fine. I usually check the female after 6-7 hours, and if she pushes against me when I move something, she's usually done. They don't move much while pushing out eggs....it's like they're in a trance.

The eggs clumping together is a survival tactic, from predators, and for the development of the babies. Obviously there will be no predators that the eggs need to fear but they still can gain a lot by being clumped together. The eggs can share nutrients, and even out their temps. I'm pretty sure the top ones that are hot can "cool down" because the bottom eggs they are connected to are colder. I think that's how eggs keep their continually needed heat in the wild.

I'm not sure I agree. I always have one or two that roll from the rest and they hatch just fine. Many people incubate seperately. There is no way for the eggs to "share nutrients". Each are their own environment. The shells keep each from sharing anything except for perhaps temperature changes. Buried as they are in dirt and whatever else in the wild, I don't think there's that much difference in temps from the bottom to the top. Perhaps some, but I don't think there's a lot. The only benefit to clumping that I can see is that eggs attached to one another don't move, lessening the risk of the egg being rolled accidently and drowning the embryo. Perhaps it also allows eggs to survive that are found by predators. They eat the easily found top eggs and the ones clumped underneath or in the middle survive.

In my opinion, the clumping helps to dampen temperature swings and perhaps helps to reduce the rate of dehydration.

For what its worth, I bury corn snake eggs in Vermiculite with just the tops showing. Hatch rate can be 100% like that.

MegF. said:
I bury mine completely in the perlite with just the top ones sticking out a bit. They do just fine. I usually check the female after 6-7 hours, and if she pushes against me when I move something, she's usually done. They don't move much while pushing out eggs....it's like they're in a trance.
this is what i did but the top ones are dimpling. Should i bury them completely?

It depends upon how far along they are. If they are within a week or so of hatching, they are probably just starting to absorb the yolk. I usually place a light topping of slightly damp sphagnum moss on the top of the top eggs. If you're still way out from hatching, I'd put a little water on the very edge of the egg medium away from the eggs, and cover the eggs with the moss.

The dimpling is probably cause by dehydration if they're only a week old. The moss should do the trick, but if that's unavailable right now then you can also lay a damp paper towel over them until you can get some moss. If the eggs get too dehydrated, they will die, so it's best that you take care of the problem as quickly as you can. Good luck with the eggs. :)

No, your top eggs dimpling is normal. Within a few days of my clutch 2 eggs on top started to dimple in. I asked some big breeders out here and was told that was normal. They didn't dimple anymore, or dimple out and hatched 60 days later. Aslong as no more eggs dimple or the dimpled ones don't dimple in anymore I wouldn't worry about it.

I had zero dimpling on any of my egg clutches until just before laying, so I'm not sure it's completely normal...although eggs definitely don't read the book on what's normal for them! I would still be cautious so that you don't end up with severly dehydrated eggs.

hi

when my corn layed eggs they where all clumped together but i did not bury them i layed them on top they all hatched fine no problems with dimpling or any thing but maybe it all depends on how your incubator is set up i have more eggs in the same way now and no problems at all hope this helps if they do dimple in then spray them with luke warm water and suroundings hope this helps :flames:

Kevin McRae said:
No, your top eggs dimpling is normal. Within a few days of my clutch 2 eggs on top started to dimple in. I asked some big breeders out here and was told that was normal. They didn't dimple anymore, or dimple out and hatched 60 days later. Aslong as no more eggs dimple or the dimpled ones don't dimple in anymore I wouldn't worry about it.
the very top 2 eggs have completly deflated and are now brown should i do anything or just leave them? the rest look good still

Unless you can remove them easily, I would just leave them as they are. If the eggs underneath are healthy, they should not be affected in any way by the dead eggs above. If they are solidly adhered to the ones underneath, you risk damaging the eggs trying to seperate them.

Back