CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New snake owner

Old 12-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Ninabeena
New snake owner

Hello everyone. My son bought me a beautiful anery for Christmas and she is gorgeous. I have named her Mona after the PLL character. She ate on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's safe to handle her today. I have left her alone since my son brought her to me other than the feeding on Wednesday.

I have one question though. I would love to handle her but she is always hiding buried under her aspen. Do I wait for her to come out and then pull her out or do I go searching for her? Or perhaps I should leave her for another week before handling? I definitely don't want to cause any stress but I would love to start the bonding. Any advice is welcome. This forum is amazing and I'm so happy to be a part of it.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Corning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninabeena View Post
Hello everyone. My son bought me a beautiful anery for Christmas and she is gorgeous. I have named her Mona after the PLL character. She ate on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's safe to handle her today. I have left her alone since my son brought her to me other than the feeding on Wednesday.

I have one question though. I would love to handle her but she is always hiding buried under her aspen. Do I wait for her to come out and then pull her out or do I go searching for her? Or perhaps I should leave her for another week before handling? I definitely don't want to cause any stress but I would love to start the bonding. Any advice is welcome. This forum is amazing and I'm so happy to be a part of it.

Congratulations on your new baby. I have an anery too. Would love to see pictures of yours. I would wait till 3 days after the next time you feed her to take her out. And then only hold her 10-15 minutes at a time. That’s what I’ve been doing and it’s been working well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
is the snake a baby - (about 15 inches or less) an adolescent - (around 2 to 3 feet) or an adult - (3 years old and 3 feet or longer)?

Most of the baby snakes are quite squirmy and "Flighty" as we call it. They have to get used to being handled and get used to you, your touch, smell, etc... They may hide from you or try to get away.

The bigger and older snakes are usually more calm and should be used to you after a few handling sessions.

Remember, to a snake, "we" are predators. Anything that is bigger than a snake and comes down from above it, is viewed by the snake as Trouble. (ie, Foxes, Skunks, Bobcats, Owls, Hawks, all attack snakes by coming down on top of them.)

The more you handle the snake, the quicker it will get used to your touch and smell and it will learn you are not going to hurt it.

My snake actually watches me when I walk into the room, and if I open the cage door, more often than not he will crawl out into my hands. Of course he's 3 years old now and I've had him since he was a baby, so we've had plenty of time to work on our relationship.

So to answer your question, I'd say, if you want to handle your snake, go in after it, and gently grab it. Don't hesitate, don't jerk at it, but do try to be deliberate about it. You have to let the snake know your intentions. If you hesitate or are timid about it, the snake will remember that, and will be confused even more.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Ninabeena
Thanks so much for answering so quickly. Mona is 4 months old so still pretty small. She was 19 grams when I weighed on Wednesday. I will get her out tonight for a short handling session. She's not bitey or anything, just afraid that I will eat her.

Karl, I went through all your progression posts of your gorgeous snake. You have such a bond with him and that's what I hope to accomplish one day. I know it takes time and patience and luckily I have an abundance of both. I am just guessing that Mona is a girl as they didn't really know at the shop. If it turns out he's a he then he will be Charles but for now she's Mona lol

Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
MysticExotics
Welcome, and congrats on your new Cornsnake!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninabeena View Post
............ I am just guessing that Mona is a girl as they didn't really know at the shop. If it turns out he's a he then he will be Charles but for now she's Mona lol
If you can get some really good clear pictures of the entire tail from around the "Vent area" to the tip, (a picture from above and a picture from underneath) we might be able to sex the snake for you.

Taking it to a vet and having it probed is the most reliable method, but the length and shape of the tail can be fairly accurate too. (I've been right more than wrong when sexing snakes by pictures). And other folks here can as well.

The picture(s) will work better when the snake is a bit older and bigger, as the Male or Female Parts (whichever) need to be better developed.

I'm enclosing a Dramatization Photo with this post to show what to look for.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Ninabeena
Oh thank you so much for enclosing that photo. That definitely helps me a lot and I will take a look at Mona tonight. It does seem as if her tail tapers right away like the female photo. I will attempt some photos in the days to come

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google