CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Hot....

Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Rich Z
Hot....

Damn.... I know I should go over to the garage and try to figure out where that low speed clicking noise is coming from in the engine compartment on the C5Z, but right now it's 91 degrees outside, and according to my thermometer, feels like 108 degrees. Inside the garage, it is probably 107 degrees and feels like 130 degrees. I do have a small air conditioner over there, but it just barely takes the edge off of the heat inside. It's not designed for that large of a building.

I just can't get motivated to go out into the heat lately. At least not anything more than just walking around without actually doing something strenuous, but even then I get drenched in sweat. I don't remember ever minding the heat as much as I do this year. The humidity is around 71 percent so it's not really as bad as it has been when we were getting rain every day.

Guess I'm just getting old.....

Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
Twolunger
Come on now. You are starting to sound like a snowbird. Too hot to do anything. I'm older than you and I went on a 12 mile bike ride at noon yesterday, then had a sandwich and cut the lawn and trimmed the bushes. At 6:00 pm we took the dogs for a half hour walk.

Wrap a bandana around your head, put on shorts and a tank top and head out there.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
Rich Z
I am retired. I have a right to be lazy when I want to. Using heat as the excuse works as well as any other excuse I can come up with.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Twolunger
Be careful using that excuse or you may end up painting the dining room. That's what happened to me. I told Sue it was too hot to work outside, and I'm retired, no big hurry to get anything done. Don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow. She said it sounds like I'm just lazy. I told her if there was something I could do in air conditioning I'd be glad to work. So she said "great, I bought paint for the dining room, so get at it." I told her I'd be happy to do it, but I used up all my paint brushes and rollers on the last project. So she produced a bag with brushes and rollers. GRRR! I told her it seems to have cooled off enough for me to work outside now. She said it will be even cooler once the painting is done.

I had to come up with a new excuse, so now when she asks what I'd doing I tell her I'm cleaning snake containers. She said it seems to take a long time to clean those, but I told her I have to take each snake out and hold it until it calms down, so it isn't just washing containers. I told her the process could be speedier if she would hold the snakes while I clean. I knew the answer, she's afraid of snakes. LOL.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
Rich Z
Actually Connie tries to talk me out of a lot of things. She is more worried about my health than I am, so she doesn't want me doing anything too strenuous or might otherwise injure me. She prefers doing things like painting, and I wind up just doing the support duties so the job goes smoothly.

She gets nervous when I am up on the 12 ft. ladder, or using the chain saws. If I am working over in the garage she checks on me fairly frequently to make sure a car didn't fall off the lift and pin me to the floor. Stuff like that.

And lately I've been trying to keep her from doing much, as she injured her foot a while back and has been causing her a lot of pain. So I'm trying to keep her from being on it too much and making things worse.

So I really don't have any conflicts with her when I say I just don't feel like doing anything today. And when she says she doesn't feel like doing anything other than sitting on the couch doing her crossword puzzles, I am perfectly OK with that too.

We are trying to take this retirement SERIOUSLY. Heck, I must be doing a real good job of it, and it is being noticed, because I just got a raise for my Florida state retirement.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Twolunger
I keep telling my son that retirement isn't all that great. I have to wait for my check to be deposited once a month, and all I can do is fish, sail, play with my snakes, go for bike rides, go on trips, and then start all over again. It's rough but I have no choice, I don't have time for a job.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Rich Z
Yeah, I had people tell me I would get bored to death during retirement. Not so. Life just seems to fill up all available time. I have no idea how I got everything done when working with all the animals. Heck during the time I was working full time for the state of Florida AND running SerpenCo, there should have been no way possible for me to get anything done outside of those two chores.

Maybe I am just moving in slow motion now and it just seems like I am filling up the days doing stuff. Perhaps to an outside viewer I am just standing or sitting comatose for hours on end when it feels like it has only been 10 minutes or so. So far I haven't had any younger people run over me or push me out of the way, though, so I'm guessing that is a good sign.

Since my birthday is a week away, and there was a local gun show today, Connie and I went out there to see if there were any new toys I needed to have. Scored pretty well. Got a new butt bag, since mine is looking pretty ratty from being so old. Then bought a night vision AND a thermal imaging handheld unit. AND a pretty nice side by side 12 gauge with 18 inch barrel and external hammers. Connie thinks that my actual birthDAY is going to be a letdown after today's excitement, however. Yeah, going to be hard to top today, I think.

I sure don't FEEL like I am brushing up against 68 years old, though. Except for the heat sensitivity and the inclination that work is just too much like work.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #8
Twolunger
If you truly want to feel your age just listen to the music bands the younger generation thinks are good. My grandson is here visiting so I played some 70's music videos for him. He said nobody listens to those groups any more. He put on some videos of bands he saw in concert. One was Rammstein, and I don't know what the singer was mad about, and nobody else did either, unless they speak German. But he sounded disturbed. Then we watched a video of a guy wearing a big plastic mouse head, named Deadmous. That guy didn't even have a band, just laptops that spewed out the same music over and over. But my grandson insists the guy packs stadiums and is a millionaire. I told him he should take his laptop and start playing in local clubs. Who knows, someday he may buy a mouse head and be rich too.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Nanci
I went outside yesterday evening and thought- why is it so cold out??? It was 84...

Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
Rich Z
Heck, it is 78 degrees outside right now, but with the humidity at 99% (which is the highest value it can show), it's just warm and sticky feeling no matter what the temperature says. When I walk outside with my glasses on, they just fog over immediately.

And we haven't even gotten much rain to speak of the last couple of days. Just light sprinkles which only adds moisture to the air. I can feel gills starting to develop on the sides of my neck.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google