CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Genetic Defects and Culling

Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Gemini8910
Genetic Defects and Culling

Before I get into this, let me start by explicitly clarifying that this thread is for me to ask for information, not to start debates.

I've seen a lot of discussion about genetic defects and whether or not they should be culled or kept as pets etc. with a lot of opinions and I'm trying to decide what I think about the subject.

The one thing I want to know that I haven't seen many definitive answers for is what defects actually impact a snake's quality of life and which don't. I know my corn Lorenzo has a little kink/bump in his back that's never seemed to bother him, so while I don't plan to breed him obviously, I probably wouldn't have seen any need to cull him if I had been the one to hatch him. But I wonder about things like bug eyes, one eye, two-heads, etc; do things like that seem to actually cause them any pain or distress?

Old 07-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Shiari
The main ones that get culled are severe kinks, especially in the neck or near the vent as this can prevent eating or eliminating, fused coils, or organs outside the body.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:20 AM   #3
MysticExotics
That can be a touchy subject.
The only problem I have is the snakes who get sold or given away, with known kinks, or other defects, under the assumption that they are just a pet, only to be bred down the road.
I haven't had to make that decision yet, so I really don't know what I would do. I certainly wouldn't want someone deciding to breed a snake with known defects.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:37 AM   #4
Gemini8910
Oh wow, I didn't even realize those things could happen to a snake. Poor things.

I don't know what I'd do either, which is why I'm trying to find out more now and think about it at least before I decide to get into breeding at all. Though I guess it just might be one of those things that you don't understand until it happens.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #5
MysticExotics
I don't blame a breeder either way, whether they chose to euthanize deformed/kinked babies or rehome them as pets, is up to each breeder.

Culling is definitely something one needs to be prepared for when they chose to breed. It's a tough decision, but necessary sometimes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google