CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

non feeder (help)

Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
firfly
non feeder (help)

Ok so I am purchasing a couple of corns off a member from the sight one is a non feeder. I have never dealt with this problem befor with snakes, and am looking for any and all suggestions. My vet is fairly sure she can get him to eat if all else fails. However I would prefer to work this out on my own just for experience sake. I have read quite a bit on the subject but would like to know what has worked for others in the past.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Lennycorn
I haven't had to deal with a non-feeder so I can't help much there but what have you tried so far so others won't give you the same information.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Iguanagirl8662
Has the person your getting it from tried a live pinkie? Normally if they won't eat a F/T pinkie for a few feedings, I will try leaving them in with a F/T pinkie overnight and if that doesn't work I will offer a live pinkie. If that works when they are eating reliably on the live pinkie I will switch back to F/T. That worked for me but there are a lot of other methods too.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
diamondlil
Dealing with non-feeders can be heartbreaking, sometimes absolutely nothing works, so can the breeder not hold the hatchling for you until it is feeding?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
bitsy
Part way down this FAQ thread, is a section on non-feeding hatchlings written by Kathy Love. Worth trying everything there:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Another trick is to drive them around the block or put them next to a running washing machine (in a secure tub). Nobody knows why this sometimes works, but the vibration may stimulate them to eat in some way. You might find that by the time it's been transported to you, it's ready to eat.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
firfly
Thanks for the replies, these guys where originaly purchased from Steve R. they are two ultra lavs both ph motely purchased as a pair. The female is feeding fine, the male is the non feeder. Things that have been tried thus far, is leaving the pink over night, braining a pink and leaving over night, she also has tried scenting the pink with tuna, and will try to feed agian befor shipping. I thought maybe halfing pink, or using just a pink head, I have no probelm trying the live pink if it gets the little one eating. As a matter of fact I will try just about anything to save the little one so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
firfly
Sorry original purchase from Steve Roylance.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
firfly
Also in all fairness, The current owner is giving me a great deal, on these beauties, the male is free. She just dosnt have the time right now to give this guy. Thanks for the thread bitsy, and the live suggestion Iguanagirl.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
screamindemon17
i had two non feeders and they went four weeks and i had tried everything and a buddy told me to get a gecko and make it drop its tail put the snake in with the tail and see if that works .. one it did the first time. then the other i put the gecko in the feeding pal with the snake and she actually ate the hole gecko.. which i wouldnt recka mend that could couse regergatation. and dont use wild live food it could have parasites....i hope this helps

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Wyldrose
I have one girl who would not eat for me. I bought some anoles from the petshop and rubbed her f/t pinky all over the anole and she wolfed it down! So that might be an option. So once a week I catch one of the anoles, and it gets a dead rodent rubbed all over it lol! It's working and she is eating. I tried an unscented mouse last week and she didnt touch it. Rubbed the anole on it and she ate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google