CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

non feeder (help)

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #91
Aneta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneta View Post
I will )
Hi ,I checked temperature but in a terrarium is a thermostat and a temperature sensor is at the bottom of the terrarium, the thermostat shows 23 degrees Celsius ,in terrarium we use a hitting mat to heat and LED bulbs to give her light ,so they give not a lot of heat. I am confused a bit ,Is it good or bad ? I haven't got this special termometre, and till this time she feels good in this temperature and from the beginning is all the same ,should I change that? Or maybe is some other reason ?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #92
bitsy
23C (73F) is a good cool side temperature, but about 10 degrees too low for the warm side floor. It could well be putting her off eating.

You need to use a digital or infra-red thermometer to check these temps (sorry, I'm rather confused about what you actually have) as the reading on the thermostat isn't necessarily going to be accurate.

If you confirm that the warm side floor is 23C, then you need to turn the thermostat up until the thermometer reads around 29C (84F) on the warm side floor inside the tank.

LED bulbs give off very little heat but they are good for lighting. Just concentrate on the heat mat. As you have a thermostat to regulate it, you should be able to get the warm side floor to the correct temperature.

However I can't emphasise enough that you need a digital or infra-red thermometer (if you don't already have one), and that you need to be measuring the temperature on the floor at the warm side immediately above the heat mat. Those are the keys to getting things right for your lass.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #93
Aneta
Finaly she Ate !! Today morning ))) Thanks for yout help I am do happy

Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #94
leswamp
I've adopted a rescue corn snake from hurricane Sandy. It's very young, probably 11 inches long, a lot like a garter snake. He's hand tame, active, drinks his water, has defecated, has a 10 gallon tank with 3 hides in 3 different temp zones, etc. No mites, no bony ridges, etc. After 4 days of leaving him to get settled I tried a deli cup feed with a pinky to no avail. I'm trying again in about 5 days. While I've had snakes I've never had young snakes and I've never had corns so I'm feeling out of my depth. Reading this thread in hopes of getting my guy to eat!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #95
Nanci
Are you positive it's a cornsnake? Do you have a picture? Where did it come from?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #96
leswamp
It's definitely a corn, ID'd by 3 corn owners. Plus it's original owner whose house was destroyed by Sandy. The picture is in my icon, though I can post the same pic larger if you like. It came from someone whose house was wrecked by the storm. (They only had it for 3 days!) It's hard for me to get a lot of background info on the poor thing because of the rescue craziness. Right now I'm assuming it's stressed and giving it 5 days til I try another deli cup feed. I'm open to advice obviously. Thanks for your response!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #97
Nanci
I'd try boiled, slit, in a covered deli cup.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #98
leswamp
Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #99
Nanci
I'd thaw and pour boiling water over it. It cooks instantly. I sit through the head and back, and serve boiling hot.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #100
Pugsley
I put a Corning Ware coffee cup 2/3 full of water in the microwave heat for a couple of minutes, then drop the thawed pinkie into it. Take cup to feeding area, use tongs to take out pinkie, put into deli cup, put snakeling into deli cup, put the lid on deli cup, put deli cup under a pillow and leave alone for an hour. Worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leswamp View Post
Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google