CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

just how fast does it take snakes to get scale rot anyhow?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #81
Lyreiania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich333 View Post
To the OP....

In your Original post.... you describe the enclosure as being 6 ft long By 18 Inches wide. Can I assume the Height dimension is either 18 or 24 inches?

Now...I'm Not sure what you paid for said enclosure.....But i'm rather Positive you could have bought a 10 tub rack system with belly heat...for $440.00 Shipped from Animal Plastics. Add an Extra $100.00 for the 10 tubs, and your total...is $540.00.

I'm Almost positive...unless you built the enclosure....the price tag was comparable to the rack system i described.

My point is....

They don't Miss one another...they don't "Love" one Another...and the Darned sure don't "Love" You...or me...or anyone else who keeps snakes.

This whole thread is a classic case of a person wanting to keep animals to fill a personal need or void in ones life....And the Needs of the animals in question fall by the wayside.

On a side note......

I've kept Corns, Bp's and Kingsnakes.... I've never once seen scale rot.

In closing....

I'm not saying I'm better than you....or better at keeping snakes....or that your a Horrible keeper, Just that those of us who have responded to this thread saw the red-flag. Co-habbed Snakes, suffering some form of disease.

Did you honestly think you wouldn't ruffle a few feathers?

Separate the Snakes.

keep'em clean, & Dry.

Far fewer issues.

My two-cents.... for what it's worth.
Hi...height of cage is 20 inches. Custom made. But even that cost far less than $540. And, I would be appalled to have my snakes in what looked like tupperware containers, snakes unable even to look outside. Snakes unable to stretch out full length. I am not about quantity of racks, but of the quality of their environment. I would not tell you though that you are awful, wrong to do such, as I well know that perceptions differ. I think my snakes need to be able to stretch out fully, to climb and to bask.

And no, how could I imagine that cohabiting snakes would set off this war of the words? I could understand the anger and outrage had I said I ran a few snakes through the kitchen blender; I could understand the ire if I said I swung them by the tail like a lasso. This response I am getting is far far out of proportion to the imagined provocation.

I do agree with you, in that they should be kept clean and dry, and I endeavor to do so. But, even with the best of intent to do so, accidents do happen...like a spilled / overflowed water bowl. That reflects on my water basin, not on cohabitation. I dont see a reason I feel is valid to separate the animals, and to deny them the spacious home to which they are accustomed. I read your concerns. I do not agree.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #82
DragonsDenSerpents
If the area is so spacious, then why would dividing it be too small? If that space is "plenty big enough for two" then why couldn't it be divided? It's still the same space, it just gives each their own secure area.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #83
Lyreiania
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Lyre, answer this please.

It is obvious to anyone reading this thread that what I said is true. You really don't care about them. You say you know the pros and cons....well please enlighten me. Please tell me how co habbing benefits the SNAKE?? I seem to have missed that part.
Its obvious to anyone reading the thread that I maintain my snakes in great surroundings and conditions, and care about them deeply....or I would not be posting on a snake forum regarding them. Its obvious that your arrogant condescension is very misplaced. Of course I care about them; they are beloved pets. Its absurd to believe I do not because I dont house them as you desire. Benefits to the snake are that the snakes have a large spacious cage...big benefit to them. They have multiple hides, climbing apparatus. They are gentler, tamer, and I believe that is due to cohabitation, as I mentioned upthread. I think their increased gentleness and tameness indicates where they are benefits them...as they are not aggressive, striking, or acting as unhappy displeased animals...as they were when in quarantine.

You are not required to agree, you are not required to approve. But do try to drop the insults...they do not help your so called position.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #84
Chip
Would you mind answering the question, then?
Quote:
Please tell me how co habbing benefits the SNAKE??

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #85
Lyreiania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsDenSerpents View Post
If the area is so spacious, then why would dividing it be too small? If that space is "plenty big enough for two" then why couldn't it be divided? It's still the same space, it just gives each their own secure area.
Let us go over some basic math. The snakes are 5 to 6 feet long. That translates to 60- 72 inch long animals. Their cage is 72 inches long. If I divided their cage in half, half of 72 is 36. They would then have only 36 inches by 18 inches to stretch out in. THAT would be an enclosure that is FAR too small for a 6 foot...or even a 5 foot long animal. I know some people think its OK to have a snake in a small cramped enclosure. I am not one of them. Diving the cage horizontally instead would only give them 9 inches in width, not enough space even if they had the 72 inches in length.

So, the cage works just fine as it is...for two. Its plenty big enough for two as it is; dividing it and the subsequent loss of space...as its not the same space if they lose access to half of it... would make it too small for one.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #86
beautifullywild77
I did find some articles on stress with snakes. Some of them are about stress of male snakes during mating season. (This was just a quick search on google, I am sure there are even more in depth studies on snakes and stress)
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...ed=0CC8QgQMwAA

Here are a couple of articles I found that list the signs of stress in reptiles and how stress can cause ill health.
http://www.anapsid.org/signs.html This article even states to take in consideration if there are multiple inhabitants.
http://www.netvet.co.uk/snakes/stress.htm This one states how easy it is to miss the signs of stress in snakes.
Quote:
How stress gets missed

Many owners have expectations of the behaviour of their snake which means that they miss the early signs which, if addressed, can prevent a lot of distress for the animal. Because snakes do not ‘snack’ on their food and need feeding three times a day like a cat or dog, it is easy to miss growing anorexia. This is often one of the earliest signs. Weight loss is also not such an easy symptom to spot, especially in a small snake which may only weigh a pound or less. Two ounces is over ten percent of its body weight and so is a significant loss, but is less than the weight of a small hen’s egg, so very difficult to notice when handling the snake. The other main symptom of stress in a snake is increased lethargy. Some snakes are quite active but many are slow moving and in the case of nocturnal snakes this sign can be missed altogether. Stress can result in death, as the snake stops eating and will become prone to other conditions as it weakens, so it really pays to watch out for it.
Quote:
Prevention of stress

Stress is easily prevented by providing the correct conditions for the snake, taking thought and time to make sure that it has what it needs and mainly to provide what the snake wants, not what you as an owner wants. If your snake happens to be a species which prefers to live quietly, eating in a hide and sleeping all day, then you must let it.
Also, I did find this article on scale rot
Quote:
What is scale rot?
Scale rot is a bacterial infection often found in captive reptiles, especially snakes. It is caused by the conditions being too moist and also by improper husbandry practices involving failure to properly clean the animal’s enclosure. Basically they slither around in their own excrement and come down with an infection on their stomachs. Which shouldn’t surprise anyone.
http://pet-snakes.com/scale-rot-pet-snakes

Personally, I have seen the stress and illness that can happen to corn snakes when they are cohabbed for a prolonged period of time. (They were kept in a rather large, multilevel viv). I took them in and gave them each their own vivs. It makes all the difference in the world.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #87
DragonsDenSerpents
Pretty sure if half the space is not big enough for one, then twice that isn't big enough for two. Just y'know, basic math.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #88
starsevol
Lyre, I know you think you are doing well with them, but you are not. Space is not really a huge issue with snakes. Sure, they shouldnt be crammed into something teeny, but they also don't need to completely stretch out either. Most snakes seem to feel secure in a closer surrounding.

As far as water causing scale rot, like I said before, 3 of my males...no make that 4 are wallowing in their water bowls, as in emptying them allll over their bins. I try to keep up but they keep doing it. I check them in the morning, go to work, and come home and their bins are swimming pools.

They have never ever had scale rot, nor have any of my animals.

Honestly, those bins you seem to think are so horrible are really the best things, as long as they are clean and heated and dry.

One of the very best breeders (and people) I know has been weighing in on this. Her snakes are cherished pets, and her babies are the biggest and healthiest you will ever find. If you don't listen to me, please please listen to Nanci. When I die I want to come back as one of her snakes.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #89
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyreiania View Post
Its obvious to anyone reading the thread that I maintain my snakes in great surroundings and conditions, and care about them deeply....or I would not be posting on a snake forum regarding them. Its obvious that your arrogant condescension is very misplaced. Of course I care about them; they are beloved pets.
If you care about them so much, then please tell me how co habbing benefits the snake?

Quote:
Pretty sure if half the space is not big enough for one, then twice that isn't big enough for two. Just y'know, basic math.
Can't argue with that at all.

If the space is not large enough to divide, it is not big enough to cohab in.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #90
starsevol
Quote:
That's what I was trying to say before! Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google