• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

I didn't have a chance to check yesterday evening, but I was thinking of you both. It's hard when those we care for don't feel well, and I know you wanted him to eat right away. I think Rich is right - he's still feeling less than 100% and didn't have his appetite back yet. I know that, after major surgery, I went days without food and didn't miss it. Snakes have a much lower metabolic rate than we do, so he probably just has no appetite.

Keep up the meds, and keep the faith. He'll eat when he's ready. Hugs!

I am pretty new to this forum, but I feel horrible nonetheless and am horrified from your story! I can only imagine what that must have felt like. Best wishes to you and Festivus having a speedy recovery!!!!

Actually, I couldn't sent the stuff out on a Sunday, so it went today and you will have it tomorrow. I use the 5fr tube, but I sent a 6.5 (a teeny bit bigger) in case that looked better to you. If you look at my Woe Is Noah thread, you can see how I hold the head. I don't worry so much about what the body is doing, but if you have assistance, it's nice to hold him in a straight line. Like head up, tail down. I only put it down the esophagus, not all the way to the stomach, so like 1/4 to 1/3 of his length, and then inject a little slowly so it doesn't reflux back up. But quickly enough to not stress him by the time it takes. Noah wasn't distressed at all, really, since there was no prying his mouth open. Once the tube is in the corner of the mouth, he will probably open his mouth a little bit, at which point you can see the trachea way in the front and the tube disappearing to the back, far from the trachea. To give an exact dose, after you have injected the liquid, you leave the tube in place, remove the syringe, draw up a little air, (couple ml) put the syringe back and flush with air to get the liquid remaining in the tube into the snake. I lubricate it with water- they are naturally slippery when wet.

What a horrible thing to have happened to your poor snake. I hope he gets better very soon.
What an absolutly AWESOME thing Nanci has done for you. Can't get better friends then that!

What a horrible thing to have happened to your poor snake. I hope he gets better very soon.
What an absolutly AWESOME thing Nanci has done for you. Can't get better friends then that!

I can't say enough nice things about her. She's wonderful :)

Oh wow I just read the whole thing. I'm so sorry this happened to you, I'm sending many well-wishes your way.

And Nanci, you're awesome!

You and Festivus are still in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted! (And Nanci totally ROCKS!)

You guys, it's not that big of a deal! I just mailed her a couple things, that's all! You're embarassing me!

Nanci does totally rock. We could start a thread with all the wonderful things she has done for people on this forum and it would go for pages and pages. She is an amazing, one of a kind person!!

Nanci girl, I totally love you!
It did take a "learning curve" as far as hubby drawing back the syringe before disconnecting it, and I'm a little scared about THAT, but overall it went well with very little drama on anyone's part. I'm quite confident that I can do it myself now, and Festy sure seemed to appreciate how easy it went!

There does seem to be a perminant bend in his neck that has me worried. No telling how much damage was done yet, as I haven't tried to feed him since he refused food on Friday.
I won't be completely happy until he voluntarily takes food, gets it down, and poops it out without a problem.....that might take weeks if it ever happens at all.
But when there is something new to report, it will be posted here.

Thank you everyone, but especially Nanci, for everything...
The people here are the best...

I'm so happy it went well! I think it's too early to say he has a permanent bend. He has so much growing to do still!! See- isn't that way easier??

MUCH easier!!
He hardly wiggled :)
Girl, I OWE you!!

But, I just hope that drawing the syringe up didn't hurt him.....I'm scared all over again! (my constant state since it happened...)

But, I just hope that drawing the syringe up didn't hurt him.....I'm scared all over again! (my constant state since it happened...)

Not to worry. I suck stuff out of people with those all the time- out of the esophagus (like x-ray dye that won't go down, so we suck it back out) out of the bladder, out of the stomach...Perfectly safe. The worst you could have done is sucked out your medication and had to reinject it.

Back