CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

i need some advice help :(

Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #71
bitsy
Quote:
cause my snake is going in hunting mode after 1 1/2 - 2days :S
Corns will usually be in "hunting mode" when they're not digesting. In the wild, they're opportunistic feeders and will always be on the lookout for food. He doesn't know that you will guarantee his next meal.

Just because he's out hunting, doesn't mean he actually needs food right at that moment to stay alive. It's the equivalent of a pet dog having a sniff around just in case someone dropped a scrap - if we fed them every time they did that, we'd end up with furry balloons!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #72
DarkSmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Corns will usually be in "hunting mode" when they're not digesting. In the wild, they're opportunistic feeders and will always be on the lookout for food. He doesn't know that you will guarantee his next meal.

Just because he's out hunting, doesn't mean he actually needs food right at that moment to stay alive. It's the equivalent of a pet dog having a sniff around just in case someone dropped a scrap - if we fed them every time they did that, we'd end up with furry balloons!
thanks for the reply , i know all that. What i meant was that he usually takes 4-5 days to go in hunting mode and now on the small pinkies after 3of them he's going on hunting mode after 1 - 1 1/2 days.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #73
Asbit
DarkSmoke ... maybe I can clarify what bitsy is trying to to explain to you.

When a corn snake lives in the wild, as soon as they are finished digesting they go into hunting mode. Sometimes digestion is faster than other times, so sometimes the snake goes into hunting mode faster than other times. This happens because snakes are opportunistic feeders and will always be looking for food becuase they never know when they will get their next meal.

Our captive breed corn snakes have not lost this instinct. The big difference between the snakes in the wild and captivity is that we feed our snakes regularly and they do not have the ability to think this through and "hey I can just sit back and relax until the next meal comes because I know that it will come to me". So just because they are in hunting mode does not mean you should feed them.

Our captive snakes will become fat over stuffed sausages and die early due to health complications, if we fed them every time they displayed what appears to be the hunting mode. This is esp. true because our captive snakes do not get nearly the amount of exercise that they would if they were in the wild.

Finally, the behavior you are seeing is not necessarily the hunting mode. Snakes relax while they digest and after digesting some are more prone to become active, you may just have an active snake. You can not really know if your snake is actually hunting or not, right after digesting because you just can not read his mind. So stick with a reasonable feeding schedule and do not be worried that he is to hungry because as many people have mentioned before it is better to under feed a captive snake than to over feed it.

Hope this helps you understand better.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #74
Frank the snake
I wouldn't ever feed any kind of rat to a corn snake.

Corn snakes eat mice in the wild. That is what they were made to do. Mice are cheaper. I can't think of a single reason it would be better than just feeding your corn an appropriate sized mouse.

Keep in mind, snake in general, can last months at a time between feedings if they're healthy. Don't rush your snake. If you are feeding it an appropreate sized mouse (1-1 1/2 times snake diameter of largest part) every 7 - 10 days, it will be just fine.

Frank grows just as much getting fed 2 times a month as he does being fed 5 or 6. Chill out on the feeding.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #75
Frank the snake
that is... the largest diameter of the mouse should be no larger than 1 and a half times the largest diameter of the snake, and at least equal to the largest diameter of the snake.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 AM   #76
Roy Munson
In the wild, cornsnakes eat a variety of prey items, and this includes rats of appropriate size.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #77
Teddy Roosevelt
Or even Rodents of Unusual Size!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #78
DarkSmoke
i don't know if my corn regurged again :S after 7days ( its feeding day) i found like some small mouse meat laying on the news paper and he shedded too today. (no its not shed) and i tried to offer him a mouse and he didnt eat, is it possible a regurg after 7days? :S

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #79
bitsy
Yes, it's possible if the temps were wrong or the mouse was a bit too big.

It's back to the regurge protocol again, I'm afraid.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #80
francka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
i don't know if my corn regurged again :S after 7days ( its feeding day) i found like some small mouse meat laying on the news paper and he shedded too today. (no its not shed) and i tried to offer him a mouse and he didnt eat, is it possible a regurg after 7days? :S
I'm sorry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google