CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Lizard Pinks

Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Hurley
Lizard Pinks

First off, a special thank you to Terri for sending us up some small anoles.

I took some pictures for Q, but figured I'd share one here as well.

Lizard-pinks are working well here this round in enticing my bloodred heritage kids to partake. These guys snubbed lizard scented pinkies and lizard tail tips in the pinkies' mouths, but they went right after the lizard pinks. (One even broke the string and just ate the pinky...left the lizard. )

The string is just a piece of hair...smaller than any thread I could find and readily available and non-traumatic. Although hair doesn't digest, it does pass through with no problems.

Anyway, here is a sample picture of a lizard pink:

Hope this helps some people this year with lizard eaters and getting them converted to pinks.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
howiet4702
Wow Connie! That is pretty cool...Hopefully, I won't have to do anything like this with the 05 babies I purchase..

Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Quigs
+19 (with 5 little green boxes)

Bravo Connie, you've amazed and educated me further once again!

Thanks, you ROCK!

Old 03-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Hurley
I would hope not, Howie.

This little trick is nice when trying to get some bloodred and Miami heritage hatchlings started. I won't sell a hatchling that isn't on pinks and tell people if they were lizard starters so they have the full history.

This is a nice first step to getting them taking down pinks and getting used to that scent being present with food. Move on to lizard-scented pinks and from there to bare pinks and they're golden.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
howiet4702
To be honest, I would of never thought of tying a anole to a pinky....That is an awesome idea..

Old 03-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Hurley
I'm trying to remember where I first heard the idea...years ago, can't remember from who. I know Don has mentioned it before, as well as several others. Can't claim the idea as original, but thought I'd post to pass the idea to the next group of new breeders as it was passed to me.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
Chip
What a handy thing to have. I never had luck getting but the occasional egg from an anole colony that was twice as much work as the animals they were food for. And still, they seemed in a constant state of decline. Any parasite concerns with w/c anoles? I've always been told to avoid using them as feeders.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Hurley
I don't like to use live anoles due to parasite concerns, but long-term freezing of a couple months will kill off most parasites. These have been frozen for months. That's not to say it's impossible to have parasite transmission, but it is unlikely. Anything being fed anoles will be fecal checked and/or prophylactically dewormed just in case, anyway. I try to play it safe.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
MegF.
That's a cool idea! Like a little lizard shuttlecraft.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
bigpops22
Iv never heard of anything like that in my life...looks interesting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google