CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Internal parasites... please help

Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Phaedra
Internal parasites... please help

I got a king snake last Saturday and although I was surprised at how much he was pooing (3 times a day or so) I didn't realise it was out of the ordinary. I'd always assumed they went once or twice between feeds but since he seems healthy I didn't give it a second thought. Now somebody's telling me he probably has internal parasites. His stools are like birds' in consistency, no weird colours as far as I can tell, and although they smell unpleasant I assume healthy snake's poo doesn't smell too great either.

My question is really how urgently do I need to get him to a vet? Obviously I'd love to do it right away but they're all closed (it's 6:40pm here) and they don't open on Sundays. Can it wait 'til Monday, or do I really need to get him there ASAP? He's been going this frequently since I got him and he's been very active.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Checkerbelly
I know this doesn't help the situation, but I'd take it right back where you got it from and leave it there. If possible.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Phaedra
No way, if they let their animals be sold with parasites I'm not taking him back there. But I'm not buying anything from them again either.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Well, then you will need to take a trip to the vet with a fecal sample for testing. More then likely if he does have a parasite infection the vet will prescribe Panacur. Waiting until Monday should not be an issue as long as he is behaving normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Fenbendazole (brand name Panacur) is a broad spectrum benzimidazole anthelmintic used against roundworms, strongyles and pinworms.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Phaedra
I got him out for some exercise and he seems fine. Very active, he's been moving around his viv for a few hours. He's drinking and he ate fine on Tuesday. He seems generally in good health. Err I'm going to sound like a moron but I do bring the snake as well as the sample right?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
My vet requires an exam before doing a fecal (which stinks)...But you can ask if they will do a fecal without requireing an exam first.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Marshall_P
Thumbs up Good Deal

One can only admire your dedication to your animals Phaedra, that's nice to see! Marshall P..

p.s., hope he gets better soon!!..keep us posted...

Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Checkerbelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall_P
One can only admire your dedication to your animals Phaedra, that's nice to see! Marshall P..
Hey, I have dedication to my animals too. Some just have more seniority than others

Old 02-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
dwyn127
If you're not familiar with kingsnakes, they have a tendency to musk and poop when handled. If you're giving him alot of attention it may be he's very healthy and wants to train you to leave him alone.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
Phaedra
Thanks for all your messages.

He pooed on me in the pet shop when I held him but not since so it's not a reaction to me handling him. Last night he curled himself round my neck and seemed quite happy (possibly because he was trying to constrict me, but I like to think it's because it was warm). I've been keeping a close eye on him and making sure he hasn't been lethargic. He's a very active snake and he hasn't seemed to change over the weekend.

He's also stopped the pooing, nothing for two or three days, but I've made a vets appointment today to make sure.

I'll post again when the vet gives his verdict.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google