• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feel about God.

Lust is a sin? Why? Isn't that just the nature of any living being?

I don't know how the universe was created, I really don't. Like SnakeAround, I don't really need to know, and how can we? Look at some pictures of really deep space, and realize how small and insignificant our little planet is. If it gets blown up tomorrow, the rest of the universe really won't care. I don't think that humans can ever really know what created the little pieces of gas and dust to formulate the Big Bang (if you believe in that theory) because we are, in the whole grand scheme of things, insignificant. How can a small species on a small planet in a small solar system in a small galaxy possibly know what happened trillions of years ago? I don't think we can, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Man I want you to reply to my previous replies. I'm really getting into this discussion.

Family / Thanksgiving time. I am out for a while.

Feel free to pm me. It might be best that way. I am losing interest in this thread.

Time to go back to the fun of snakes!

I get that. I really do.

My question is this. What if what YOU say is good and right is in conflict with another atheist's beliefs on what is good and right?

Is there a resolution, or are you both right in your own way?

Suppose one person says "I feel fine about cheating on my college exam. It is getting me the grade I need, it's not hurting anyone, and in the end, it's only a piece of paper I am after".

The other person says "I study hard, I earn my grades. It is wrong to cheat, because you are taking away from the hard work of others but getting the same grade".

Which atheist is correct? What one person believes is human and decent and right is opposite of what the other believes is human and decent and right.

I am not trying to paint anyone into a corner, I promise. I question my faith all the time, wanting to be sure I am on the right path. Nothing else makes sense to me aside from the God of the Bible.

These are questions I have all the time. Why is one person right over the other? Or does it not even matter?

You could apply all this logic to those who are Christian as well. I know many many Christians who steal, cheat, lie, etc. But I guess they get to go to heaven (which as atheist I dont believe exists) if they go to church one time.

I was raised Catholic. I even got my Confirmation when I was in 8th grade. It was at that point that my mom let me decide if I wanted to keep going to Church. My Confirmation was the last time I went. Except for my grandfathers funeral two years ago... him and my grandmother are very devout Catholics, who support me completely in my decisions to lead my life the way I want.

Just because atheists dont believe in a higher power, does not mean we are evil people with no morality. I never cheated, I tell white lies occasionally, I dont steal, etc. I volunteered for several organizations when I was in college, and I have worked my butt off my whole life. I consider myself successful, and happy. And I did it all by myself. I could have chosen a completely different path and who knows where I would be today.

I have a question. if god created man and wanted man to worship him why didnt he just not give us the option of sinning? hes and all knowing, all seeing diety by all accounts so he knew in advance what was gonna happen. wheres the free will in that? he knew eve would eat the fruit thereby disobeying him. if he didnt know then he would not be all knowing. why didnt he just make people and leave out the sin? if god created everyting, which i have heard all my life, then he created sin too. how can free will exist if everything is already planned out? that would just make us puppets having our strings pulled.

The sins of my ancestors are not my sins. and i refuse to believe that. and i should not be made to suffer for it. thats like punishing your own child for something that you did.

And why do the Amish, who are Christian, run puppy mills that abuse dogs? You are a Christian, and so are the Amish, yet I'm pretty sure you don't condone puppy mills, I know that my Christian friends don't.

Because the bible states that animals do not have souls, so therefore, they dont count.

I have a question. if god created man and wanted man to worship him why didnt he just not give us the option of sinning? hes and all knowing, all seeing diety by all accounts so he knew in advance what was gonna happen. wheres the free will in that? he knew eve would eat the fruit thereby disobeying him. if he didnt know then he would not be all knowing. why didnt he just make people and leave out the sin? if god created everyting, which i have heard all my life, then he created sin too. how can free will exist if everything is already planned out? that would just make us puppets having our strings pulled.

The sins of my ancestors are not my sins. and i refuse to believe that. and i should not be made to suffer for it. thats like punishing your own child for something that you did.

Can God create a rock that he cannot lift?
That is a very large topic in philosophy and when I took a philosophy class, we spent a long time debating this subject.
But if you know your child is going to and is stealing cookies from the jar and you let it happen and thusly punish him, that doesn't mean he doesn't have free will.

I am the opposite of you Barbara. I want to know everything! Although, the more I learn the more I realize there IS to learn.. on an infinite degree.. I still like to ponder and research things such as our existence. I'd also like to see another planet's surface before I die. ;)

Because we have dominion over the animals, does that mean it is okay to mistreat them? Not in my mind...It may be our "right," but it isn't right.

BTW, my Goddaughter is being baptized Saturday. I am so excited! What an honor to have been chosen as a Godparent.

I'm pretty sure that only humans have souls according to the Christian belief. That's what makes us supposedly different that animals. And remember the "Rapture"? People won't be allowed to bring animals into heaven, so I call all of the super cool snakes left behind!!!! I have heard many priests argue that animals don't have souls.

We have a video of me being baptized! When I was little, I always thought that the preacher was going to drown the baby...but congratulations, Nanci!

It's a debate and a belief interpreted due the the fact that it's written in the bible that we are allowed to kill and eat them. There is no determinate statement saying such. I've seen both in modern day Christianity.

I'm pretty sure that only humans have souls according to the Christian belief. That's what makes us supposedly different that animals. And remember the "Rapture"? People won't be allowed to bring animals into heaven, so I call all of the super cool snakes left behind!!!! I have heard many priests argue that animals don't have souls.

This is much better worded. I misspoke in that I interpreted the wording from the bible as such, and was always taught this in Catholic Church, that animals are soul-less and we have dominion over them. What I said previously is not a quote from the bible, I didnt explain it very well. My apologies.

What keeps you from simply doing what you want to get whatever you want in this life? Why not cheat on your taxes? Why not steal from the grocery store? What motive is there to keep the law? What points your moral compass? What is your standard of what is decent and what is unacceptable?

With no fear of final judgement, why not simply kill someone if they offend you? Or give into any desire regardless of who it hurts? What do atheists use as a definition of good and bad - since they do not believe evil exists?

Is it merely trying to stay out of prison? With no God to tell you what is right and wrong, IS there a right and wrong? Or is it subjective to each individual - one person's "right" is fine for them, while another person's "right" is fine for them? What if these perceived "good things", or "right things" are in conflict with each other?

So are you telling me that the *only* reason you won't go out and murder and eat a human baby is because a God told you not to? That's kind of scary, you know?

I believe, first and foremost, in the right for other people to live lives that are as long, happy, and safe as circumstances allow them to be. Because I believe that people have that right, that means that murder, torture, stealing, cheating, etc is bad. I don't need a deity to tell me this. I can look at us as a social species and go "this is detrimental to the group, it is bad." I can also go from the enlightened self-interest point: I don't want to be murdered, therefore it is wrong to murder.

Statistics in 1997 showed that the % of people in prison who were atheists was a mere 0.21%. Being religious, and believing in life after death, devalues this lifetime. If you kill someone, well, they're either in heaven or hell now, right? They still exist.

Not so for the atheist. This is the only shot at life I will get, which makes it incredibly precious to me. How horrible to deprive someone of the entirety of the remainder of their only chance at existence! How horrible to fully and truly destroy another person. The ramifications of that are profound. I value life so much more now as an atheist than when I was religious.

Furthermore, let me ask you this. Have you EVER eaten fat? Ever? Because that is one of the most abominable things, according to God and would be a sin forever. How about wearing polyester? You're probably sinning right now just by not being naked!

To me, the only God that makes sense is the God of the Bible. I know no other book that has stood the test of time in both prophecies written and fulfilled.

"And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power.”"

Ooops? They all seem more than a little dead at this point.

For the other points:

Evolution does NOT equal abiogenesis, which is the creation of self-replicating forms from non-self replicating materials.

Evolution DOES occur. It is an observable fact. Every. Single. Morph in our cornsnakes is proof of that. Most mutations are neutral and do nothing. Some mutations are beneficial. Some are harmful. Color and pattern changes are beneficial for the captive corn snake, as those animals are propagated more. Mutations like stargazing are detrimental.

Ring species also show grand proof of evolution.

A deity would, I hope, certainly do a better job than the kludge our bodies are. The urogenital system of the male sheep boggles the mind; why does a 50 pound animal have to pee through the equivalent of a cocktail straw? Or how about the Recurrent Laryngeal nerve in giraffe? Actually, in all mammals. Instead of going straight to our larynx, it goes into our chest, loops under the pulmonary arteries, and goes back up to our throat! That's absurd. It only needs to travel a few inches, and instead travels over 15 FEET in the giraffe!

In the history of humanity, more people have been killed in the name of God than the sum of pretty much every war that humans have ever participated in. If he were real, why would he allow such a travesty to happen in his name?

/atheist

yup, after reading all this I quickly remember why I dont get into these kind of debates in forums any more lol.

Back