CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A day at the stables

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #21
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu1bar3 View Post
Joe is cute!! what breed is he? I would love to have a Gypsy Vanner.
He's got no papers, but came from a Romany family, so he probably has a fair history of Vanner blood behind him. His action is very showy with his 'moonboot' feathers, so I'd say he was bred for 'flashing', but he's a little short-bodied which would be a fault. (Flashing is a pony ridden or driven over short distances at gypsy horsefairs, the pony or horse has to look as spectacular as possible with the feathers flying to draw attention)

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #22
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Not to dis your horse pics but thank you for that gorgeous pheasant picture. Where (and when) I grew up they were common. We called them ringnecks. I haven't seen one or heard that noise for 30 years.
It's taken me this long to get a decent picture of a pheasant, I keep seeing them running for cover, but saw a pair of cocks fighting in the middle of a field which meant that picture was just a grainy blur! The stable owner won't allow any shooting of the pheasants on his land, so I should see plenty more if the foxes don't get out of hand.
I shall try harder to get piccies for you,

Old 04-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #23
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
Awesome pictures! I miss the sweet, warm smell of a freshly brushed horse...mmm

Okay, for those not in the horsie know..."bagging up" and "backed up" mean what exactly? =)
'Bagging up' means the mare has developed her udders and they're filling up, so a fairly good sign that delivery 'shouldn't' be too far away. ('shouldn't' because the changeable weather can cause themares to delay the onset of labour!)
'Backing' means getting a young horse used to being sadddled and ridden

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
alan
We spent a lot of time in cornfields and would often flush them out. I just remember the sudden explosion of noise from the wings, and they would almost always cry out real loud. It was always a really cool surprise because when the corn is up you don't know it's coming at all. That sticks in my head even now.
Okay, back to the horses, my daughter was loving the horse pics over my shoulder.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #25
diamondlil
I'm a horse's aunty!
First foal born today, a welsh cob x andalusian filly! She'll be bay or dun, depending on how dark she turns out, mother and baby doing well. I'll meet her on Wednesday, I'm waiting for her first pictures to be sent to me

Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #26
patm1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I'm a horse's aunty!
First foal born today, a welsh cob x andalusian filly! She'll be bay or dun, depending on how dark she turns out, mother and baby doing well. I'll meet her on Wednesday, I'm waiting for her first pictures to be sent to me
Congratulations!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #27
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I'm a horse's aunty!
Congrads! I love the smell of foals... better even than puppies

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #28
Maize411
Talking

I love the stallions!! That last pic of the black one is gorgous :0)

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
diamondlil
Here's a picture from my friend's 'phone, I'll take tons of photos on Weds

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #30
diamondlil
better pictures e-mailed to me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google