CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Growth rates ?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Droptines
Growth rates ?

My corn seems to have slowed down in her growth rate.Up to the first 6 months she seemed to grow ALOT.Now,,she seems to have slowed.I got her last Sept.,she was around 12"-13" and as big around as an average pen.
Now shes in the 28"-29" range and at least an 1" thick or more.Very healthy looking.She eats a small mouse every 5th day.
What do you guys think ??,normal ?,on track...

Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Susan
Her growth rate seems fantastic. I would probably cut her back to once a week feedings now, but increase the size of the mouse. At an inch thick, she could take more than what I consider a small mouse (one person's fuzzy is another person's large pinky and yet a third person's hopper). Best judge...if you see a good lump in the belly after eating, it's just right.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
MegF.
I agree with Susan. I feed every 7 days once they are off of pinkies. Her growth sounds fine and I've noticed that mine tend to go thru growth spurts, just like people do. Rapid growth for a while, then level off, then all of a sudden they seem bigger again.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
Droptines
Thanks for the replies.I have just moved her up to "medium" size mice,well at least thats what Arctic mouse calls them.The pack is 4 mice that total 1.75 oz(50 grams).So,I think they a little small for mediums at 12.5 grams.
They looked good size at first,but after a feed last night,,I was noticing the "bulge" wasn't too noticeable.After this pack is done,I might bump up the meal size AGAIN ...

Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
DogStar5988
I've been charting my snakes growth since I got him and have noticed that it seems like his length and weight go through spurts at different times, so maybe hes just growing girth at the moment.

---Kenny

Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
antsterr
I've got 27 inch '06 that's 120 grams. Then I have a 30 inch one that's only 80 grams. Some grow longer other grow rounder. As for slowing down, no one can predict when or how long a snake will grow. All I can say for sure is that your snake will continue to grow if you feed it

Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Flagg
I've never bought "Arctic Mice" brand feeders, as they are ridiculously expensive. But a "medium" mouse at 12 grams? That's a hopper.

What does your snake weigh? It can probably handle bigger than that, which could account for the slowdown in growth.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
Droptines
I have a gram scale,but its not a very good one.I'll have to try it.Shes got some heft to her, I know that.
As far as the mouse size,I know they seem a bit small.They don't look like hoppers,they look just like adults,just small in size.Strange,right ?..Not cheap either,,with tax,their about $12.00 for a 4 pack

Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #9
MegF.
You definitely need to find a supplier! When I first moved here, I almost fainted when I saw how much they were. Each of my adults would have taken at least two of those sized mice and there are 5 taking that much. The others would have taken at least one. I was looked at spending about $70 a week just to feed my (at that time) 13 snakes. I can get rats, mice, fuzzies, hoppers and pinkies that will last me a months from my local supplier for that.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Flagg
Seriously, find a local reptile show or feeder breeder to get your frozen mice. You should be able to get at least a bag of 25 for that $12.

barring that, find a pet shop that specializes in reptiles rather than a big chain store. They should sell frozen mice for a lot less than $3 a piece.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google