CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mini Pinkies

Old 11-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Ryan Beatty
Mini Pinkies

This is one of the smallest pinkies I've ever seen. The entire litter was tiny, most under a gram. The third pic is a comparison of the mini pinkie to an average small pinkie. These come in very handy for really small hatchlings and picky feeders. Just curious if anyone thinks there's a market for "mini" pinkies?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Christen
I do think that those could be useful for those tiny hatchlings. Was it a large litter? I wonder why they are so small.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Nanci
I definitely would use those, in season. I often have hatchlings in the 4-6 gram range, which I purchase "reds" for.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Chip
They would save me a lot of pinkie heads that I start tiny hogs on. I'd also say a lot of people who work with the lavender gene, eastern milks, etc. would be thrilled to buy reds.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Justine66
yeah I was going to say, you don't see 'reds' for sale in bulk very often..
I definitely think there's a market!

I also wonder why they were all soo small? were both the parents small?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
They would save me a lot of pinkie heads that I start tiny hogs on.
That's for sure! It gets old cutting off the heads. I have lots of other snakes to eat the bodies, but still, not my favorite way to spend an afternoon.

Kathy

P.S. I wonder if the nutritional value is less in "reds". I've heard pinky mice referred to as diuretics, as they aren't much more than a water pill at that stage.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Ryan Beatty
The parents were average size. There was around 15 in the litter. I pulled most for feeders but left 5 to grow out. I'm curious if this is a genetic or inheritable trait or just a fluke. A couple still borns were even smaller. I didn't weigh them but I'm guessing half a gram maybe. I thought the same thing about baby eastern and red milks. I wish I had these earlier this year when I hatched out 3 gram thayeri x corn hybrids.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
The Cat
Keep it as a pet and name it Tiny!!!

Or feed it to a snake but the above one sounds better to me.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Justine66
yeah.. it would be interesting to see if it is inharitable ..

keep us posted!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
notserp
I just got some the same size. The lady was reasonably new to breeding mice but had never seen them that small before. I could have used them at the beginning of hatching season. Now I will just throw them in when it's time for double pinks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google