CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How long can you freeze mice?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
xoxocammyxoxo
How long can you freeze mice?

So I bought pinkies for the six smaller snakes from Petco at almost $2 a pop and I almost died. I went to a website someone else recommended to me here in Enumclaw which is where I will probably be getting most if not all my frozen mice/rats etc.

The questions I have are, how long can you freeze mice before they go bad? Also if I were to buy say 100 mice, could I thaw them enough to seperate them and rebag them and put them in the freezer or would that be dangerous? I'm not talking thaw completely through and through. Just enough that I can break them away from each other and rebag them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
The Cat
I asked that same question, actually, and they should last a while. I was told that they could last a year in a deep freezer. In a normal freezer, probably around there. About the thawing question, I personally wouldn't risk it, but I don't know.

Hope I helped!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
xoxocammyxoxo
I know that there is a certain temp that if frozen foods warm up to that, bacteria starts growing. I remember it from my food handling class last year but I don't remember that temp plus its probably not that easy to temp pinkies. My butcher told me that if it warms up enough to be squishy (lol yes he aaid squishy) then its probably warm enough to be bad.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
5 Star Serpents
You shouldn't need to thaw them to separate and rebag them. I don't keep pinkies in the freezer more than a few months (3 tops) but we also breed our own feeders so we don't really have any reason to store them longer than that, most of our feeders (aside from rats as they are illegal to keep here so we must buy them frozen already) don't sit in the freezer more than about 6 weeks though for the most part. I would say pinkies and fuzzies won't last more than 6 months in the freezer and remain palatable...however I do have "uppity" snakes who won't eat anything that is long term frozen because they are spoiled like that.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Chet
I PM'd you, but for others in WA state by Tacoma or Kitsap, I have frozen and live mice if you need them. Healthy colony, feed very well.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
xoxocammyxoxo
I sent you a pm back Chet. Sorry I was driving around earlier. Had to go to my storage and get a tank and my food scale so I can weigh my snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google