CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Organic feeders?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Justine66
this is very interesting.

probably wouldn't be as easy to do in Canada but I still love the thought of it!
our rodent breeders tend to be few and far between lol so finding one with normal mice raised on a good high end diet is hard enough at times.. lol

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Chip
I would be somewhat concerned about the pesticides and herbicides used on food crops, but "genetically modified" is really not so scary. Read up on the science behind it, and look for science in the webpages bashing it -usually there is none.

Just like organic foods, I am afraid organically fed mice are simply going to cost too much for most consumers. Add to the fact there is no evidence that they are more safe to consume, and I wouldn't personally pay the extra.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
cagedbirdsinging
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxocammyxoxo View Post
I've actually been thinking about getting back into breeding after a 10 year hiatus and have considered organic feeders as a possibility. Unfortunately though, I'm on the other side of the states than you
Well, hey... now that you know that there is a person on the other side pondering this, there might be another person close to you! It saddens me that you're not closer, though. =(

Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
cagedbirdsinging
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I would be somewhat concerned about the pesticides and herbicides used on food crops, but "genetically modified" is really not so scary. Read up on the science behind it, and look for science in the webpages bashing it -usually there is none.

Just like organic foods, I am afraid organically fed mice are simply going to cost too much for most consumers. Add to the fact there is no evidence that they are more safe to consume, and I wouldn't personally pay the extra.
Modifying the genetic makeup of foods has given good and bad. I'd agree that a good majority of it isn't scary. What is scary is what the modifications have done to two ingredients like soy and wheat, which are oddly enough two major ingredients in popular blocks fed to most mice and rats.

Organic isn't for everyone, and yes, there are a lot of times when it comes with a higher price tag. Lots of people wouldn't be willing to pay the extra, but I'm not remotely considering an email to the large online feeder breeders, asking for an organic selection! I was just wondering aloud if there was anyone else on the same train of thought. I'm usually the only passenger on mine.

It's great to know that there are a handful of others out there!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google