CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How Many Mice Should I Order?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
Amanda47
http://southfloridarodents.com/

That place looks to be less than an hour from Miami (if that's where you are). You might call them and see if you can pick up an order rather than have it shipped.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
BlackMamba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda47 View Post
http://southfloridarodents.com/

That place looks to be less than an hour from Miami (if that's where you are). You might call them and see if you can pick up an order rather than have it shipped.
I appreciate the help but I'm actually in Northern Florida right now in the middle of no where. I put Miami though because I'm from there and I plan on going back.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
BlackMamba
Just to give everyone an update I finally got my corn snake yesterday! I wasn't sure which kind to get but I decided to get an anerythristic.

Now I'm still worrying about the food though ... I don't mind getting the petsmart/petco ones if they're okay, but now I'm worried that they might be too big for him. He's been hiding so I haven't seen him in a while but he looks about as big around as a pencil and 10-12" long which seems really small to me.

Do you guys know if they sell day old pinky mice or is it just general pinkies? I'm just really worried that they might be too big and I don't want to take any risks. Also, is it okay to have them eating day old pinks until they move up to fuzzies if I buy a decent amount?

Any help would really be appreciated!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
rachow
I've been getting mine from Petco until I can get to a show. Their pinkies are really small. I'm sure it would be fine for you. If you think it's still too big, you can cut it in half and only half at a time. I don't know if you have a kitchen scale to weigh your snake, but my snake was 11 grams when I first got him and took a Petco pinkie fine. Now he's on doubles because they're too small. Hope this helps! Good luck with your new baby!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
BlackMamba
Quick question: It's been about 5 days since I got my corn snake and I am planning on feeding him tomorrow for the first time since I've gotten him. He's been in his empty paper towel tube on the cool side for a long time and I'm just wondering how I feed him. Should I just wiggle the mouse in front of the opening of the paper towel tube, or try to get him out of the tube to feed him? Any help would be appreciated!

Also, unfortunately since I didn't seen him for a long time I got worried that he might be dead somehow so I lifted the paper towel tube with him in it and wiggled it a little and then looked in there and saw him move. I'm just worried that might effect him eating tomorrow. You guys think it's okay?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
Shaggy
I think you should be fine with going ahead with your feeding plans. Getting surprised a little bit isn't as hard on the snake as getting handled, and passed around to friends, etc.
I'm of the mindset to feed them in a separate container, but, that's based on very little experience and quite a bit of reading around on the subject. For me it worked. Plus, you can use a small feeding space, which lets you monitor things better. For example, if your snake doesn't jump at the pinkie and eat right away, you probably want to leave the pinkie and the snake together - which is much better done in a small, isolated area.
Good luck!
My new baby didn't eat at five days from when she came home. She was definitely interested, but didn't open her mouth. Two days later I tried again, and she went right for a heated-up pinkie. Ate no problems - to my great relief.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Shannon
You may be able to get feeders at a local reptile show. They bring them to you, so to speak. So you don't pay shipping.
I got a bag of 50 pinkies for less than two packs of 6 would have cost at Petsmart. Even if the last dozen go to waste, I still made out.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
HReptiles
I used to go to the reptile show to get my mice and rats. By the time I drove over an hour, paid to get in, find someone with enough rodents for me, load em up in the car, drive over an hour home. it almost seemed like a wast of a day just to feed my reptiles. I just decided to breed rodents myself. Dont get me wrong, I love the reptile show, BUTTTTT I only like to go when I have money for the candy (reptiles) in the candy store (reptile show) . lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google