• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cervical dislocation problem

reptire

One of the two mice I fed my snake yesterday wouldn't let me pin its head down to perform cervical dislocation for the life of me and jumped up and bit my finger really hard.

I gave up and gave it to my snake live and it bit my snake, hurting some of her scales.

Two questions:
1. Will my snake have a scar or will it heal? It's not an open wound, the scales are still black (it's a cali king), some of them are just visibly deformed.

2. I don't want this to happen again, what to do with mice I can't kill by cervical dislocation? A CO chamber is not an option.

Then buy f/t. If you can't get a co2 chamber and you can't get cervical dislocation done and you don't want your snake getting hurt AGAIN from live buying f/t mice seems like the way to go. Your snake will probably be fine but just remember if that bite had been on top of the head in between the eyes or somewhere on the spin your snake could be in bad shape. Just think about that before feeding live next time.

Could you wear thin leather gloves to handle the mouse, assuming you can't just buy frozen mice?

Whenever we perform CD, we always wear gloves since some of the mice are feisty. All you need is something for their front paws to grab onto and have their back legs in the air, they won't move in that position.
Also, you have to not be squeamish! If you hesitate, even a little, the mouse will either be suffering in pain and paralyzed from only partial CD, or it will get out from under whatever is on their neck. You need to press so hard on their neck it feels like it will break from just pressure and pull on the tail. You have to have this all done in less than a second.

If you can't do that, I suggest buying f/t or build a co2 chamber.

If you put a tea towel or dishcloth on the work surface then the mouse 'scrabbles' its front feet trying to get away rather than turning and biting you.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think putting down using co2 via vinegar and baking soda is considered humane

When you mix baking soda with vinegar it creates co2 ..... My understanding is that co2 IS a humane way to put down mice .
So many mice breeders that I talk to put their mice down by using co2 .
Watch that video ..... are they suffering ?

When you mix baking soda with vinegar it creates co2 ..... My understanding is that co2 IS a humane way to put down mice .
So many mice breeders that I talk to put their mice down by using co2 .
Watch that video ..... are they suffering ?
Yes I know it makes co2, but last time I checked co2 was used in a controlled method. vinegar and baking soda, dry ice and water, etc aren't controlled methods. Most places that put down mice have those tins with co2 in it or something similar where the can control how much you put in. If co2 isn't done right it can be a very scary painful way to die

Yes I know it makes co2, but last time I checked co2 was used in a controlled method. vinegar and baking soda, dry ice and water, etc aren't controlled methods. Most places that put down mice have those tins with co2 in it or something similar where the can control how much you put in. If co2 isn't done right it can be a very scary painful way to die

I did a lot of research of killing mice humanely , because I am considering of raising feeder mice myself . Read all kinds of methods from using a co2 tank for paintball all the way of using plastic ziplock bags with baking soda and vinegar .
I have not once read and / or heard anything on "bad" co2 making mice suffer in stead of killing them humanely as possible . If you have info on this " bad " co2 that causes suffering in mice , please feel free to share that info.

My teacher will go on all day long about how cruel CO2 is. I don't believe her one bit, I've killed hundreds of mice and rats with CO2, and it is fast and painless.
She prefers bopping them, which I have done before, but it is so easy to mess up and must be terrifying for the rodents. It's hard to do dislocation on a bunch of mice, but easy on one or two. CO2 containers are just so darn expensive, so if the vinegar way works as well as buying one, then I see no issue with it.

Oh my gosh I'am not here to tell people they shouldn't use co2 I really dont care how people put down their mice but for the op im just stating that some forms of co2 are painful and scary for the mice if givin the wrong way. If you don't me then take some co2 and put that in your face and tell me if is "painless" or not. But since I doubt anyone will try it I will just tell you what happens. Its gonna burn your eyes and if you inhale any of it its not gonna feel to good going in. Now tell me how that is painless

Oh my gosh I'am not here to tell people they shouldn't use co2 I really dont care how people put down their mice but for the op im just stating that some forms of co2 are painful and scary for the mice if givin the wrong way. If you don't me then take some co2 and put that in your face and tell me if is "painless" or not. But since I doubt anyone will try it I will just tell you what happens. Its gonna burn your eyes and if you inhale any of it its not gonna feel to good going in. Now tell me how that is painless

I was asking for info on your facts that some form of co2 will harm rodents . I googled this and I can't find any info on this . Also , when I am at the paintball field , the worker are always filling co2 tanks , not once have I heard anyone scream out in pain when gas sprays out .
Then again watch ANY youtube video on killing mice with vinegar and baking soda and it does not look like any mice are in pain.

Ok look I'am not trying to get into this heated debate hell I use co2 to put down my how mouse colony but I have the luxury of having a big ol co2 canister in which i can control the output (great at truing juice into soda by the way) But me personally am fine with them dying fast but some people are not so I tell the op what I know and he or she can do the research and decide for themselves what they want to do. Of course people are much larger than mice so the pain is different but here is a very long article about co2 if you scroll down you will see charts of how much co2 was used and what effect it had on the mice.
http://lan.sagepub.com/content/39/2/137.full.pdf

Back