CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

First baby mice arrived

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
michieldewit
First baby mice arrived

ok, so one of my mice just got babies. I only saw 2 so far which seems weird, but maybe she wasn't done delivering yet by the time I looked.
anyway, I have 1 male and 3 females in one cage, they all are bundled up together with the babies right now and seem to get along just fine. now my question is, do I need to go ahead and remove the male? I don't want to desturb them if I don't have to but I think it would be bad if the female gets pragnant right away again.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Christaberk
Now I'm not sure because I've never bred mice, nor have I been around anyone who has, but don't male mice eat the babies? Or is that just hamsters?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
michieldewit
As far as I know you need to be more worried about females eating babies than males. but my biggest concern is the female getting pregnant again and having babies while still taking care of these babies.
That would be way to hard on her.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Buzzard
Actually the males will share in the care of the babies(in mice). My colonies are 1.4 or 1.5. The problem I have seen with mothers eating the babies is bad diet, and also if a babies is born with defects the mother sometimes will eat them as well.

Buzz

Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
michieldewit
so my question still stands, do I remove the male for now or just leave them together?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Flow
Yeah if you dont remove the male you will have more babies. I remove my males for about a month. This way she can raise her litter and get a little break.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
michieldewit
will there be any issue with reintroducing the male after a month?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Flow
Some females can be aggressive with the male at first so you will have to watch them. Make sure you remove any younger weaned males because the male can kill them. I had a hold back hopper male that i fogot to remove and daddy ended up killing him.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Buzzard
I never remove the male. You can always freeze the extras, for when your mice have a natural break(and they will). You also can use the extra to start up a backup colony, sell to a fellow herper(to help off set some expenses) or trade with a pet shop for some store credit. Mice are sometimes hard to come by at certain times of the year, so producing a good amount and a few extras never hurt.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Productmur
Never removed my male, either. My female got breaks, though--they naturally pace themselves. I doubt my male was ever any problem, as I've seen him on the babies nearly as much as mommy mouse. I lost most of one litter to them, but my best guess was they were defective somehow--they'd never eaten any babies before nor since, at least not after I first counted the litters. Hamsters, however, are evil. xD

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google