CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

First baby mice arrived

Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Wyldrose
I find the males do a good job looking after the babies, grooming them and keeping them warm. I raise in groups. Sometimes new moms will eat their litter, they usually do better the next time around. I'm just starting hamsters now. We took the male out because he is my kids pet, I have had rodents become aggressive when they have babies. Like the African soft furs.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
michieldewit
See I did take the male out yesterday but now I think I should just put him back. The females seem to be doing a great job so far and they haven't been aggressive towards me yet. Still find it weird I only got 2 babies

Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
michieldewit
ok, so I put the male back and already caught him doing his job on top of another female. So far everything seems fine

Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by michieldewit View Post
Still find it weird I only got 2 babies
First litter? Sometimes first litters come out still born or deformed(or stressed). It is possible she disposed of(ate) the other ones before you saw them. Or if she is an older mouse she might be at the end of her breeding years and usually the last litters are very small. I have even seen just 1 born on an older female.

Either way Congratz.....

Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
michieldewit
well, she isn't old, so she either ate them and got rid of all the evidence or she just had 2

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Buzzard
If she is young, good bet her second litter will be much larger

Buzz

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
michieldewit
I hope it will be, won't really be able to supply myself with only 2 pinkies

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
michieldewit
So today I cleaned the cage out a bit and found only one baby under the mother. so I looked around and found another dead under a bunch of bedding. It looked pretty sad because it didn't look like it got attacked or anything. just got lost under the bedding and found to late. So now I got only one baby mouse left (he/she seems to be doing great)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google