CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Fridge or Freezer, what temps?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
AshWolFF
Talking Fridge or Freezer, what temps?

It would make it a lot easier if I bought a mini fridge for my game-room upstairs to hold the frozen pinkies/mice etc instead of going down in the basement to get them (where the fridge and kitchen stuff is).

I'm thinking of purchasing those 1.5 cube feet fridges that you can put on or under a desk.

I don't know if they have a freezer part or how cold they get?

What temp does the mice need to be kept at?

Also when should I start feeding rats?

My corn snake is 3 week's old, being fed every 7 days on Pinkies.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Nanci
Mice have to be kept frozen.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Duae
I had a minifridge for a while when in the middle of moving. The freezer part was tiny (could hold maybe two TV dinners) and did not seem to keep the mice constantly frozen. They started smelling quickly, which I'd never had happen before. I ended up storing all my mice in a relative's chest freezer and driving over once a week for mice until the big fridge went in!

I'm not sure if it would work cranking it all the way down and trying to use the entire thing as a freezer, but using it as a fridge/freezer I would NOT recommend it.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
kmonteith
I've tried to keep feeders in the freezer part of a mini fridge. They freeze, but those freezers tend to run about 5-10degrees warmer than your standard freezers, causing the rats to still be flexible (not 100% frozen). So I wouldn't recommend this. Just stick with the trek downstairs, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Edit; in response to the post above mine, I ran mine at it's absolute coldest, a brand new unit not a cheap one either, and they still did not freeze all the way threw.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
AshWolFF
Thanks guys for all your responses. Yeah I won't be lazy I was just double checking. In the basement we have this meat freezer and I'm thinking of going with bulk mice when the snake is off the pinkies'. It seems much cheaper and it'll cover me for about a year or more.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Justine66
and just Chiming in!! rat are to high in fat content, jumbo mice is all an large adult corn should need, unless its a female which just laid a clutch, to help get her weight back up to par.

hope this helps, since no one caught that question..

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
michieldewit
Also I don't think its good to keep your mice in the freezer for over a year, I think half a year is about as far as you want to go

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google