CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

First time buying bulk f/t feeders!

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Justine66
Question First time buying bulk f/t feeders!

heyy all,

soo I've been looking into buying bulk feeders since Sirius is now on Adult mice and the shop I get mine from their, adults but the largest one I got last time was a 26 g one and all the others are only 20 or 21 grams...

and thy barily leave a lump in my boy tummy anymore, lol he's only a yearling and still growing!

and the adult mice are also a bit pricey.. $1.69 per mouse.. so I went and looked online and found Near North Rodents!! and they sell large adult mice for $1.00! way cheaper! AND there actually only a 20 minuet drive from me!!

Woot !
So I have a pick-up appointment for 4:00 pm tmrw!
I'm excited to save some $$$ and feed my babies,
lol ill be sure too let you guys know how it goes/the quality of the mice!

ALSO, if anybody has any tips on how to travel back with the frozen mice without them unthawing on the ride home?

I was just going to bring a small cooler and buy a bag of ice to throw over the mice for the 20 minuet drive, and just keep them in the trunk where its cold, with no pit stops of course!

but any tips on transporting mice home and keeping them frozen would be much appreciated!

Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Nanci
If you can buy dry ice, it works great.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Justine66
yeah... I would love to find some dry ice,
but you need to have either a lab license or teaching license to get the stuff here in Ontario..

neither of which I am lol

thanks though!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
m1n054
You don't really need something to freeze it for a 20 min drive i think. The ambient temperature of your car should be enough, unless it's a living hell inside your car. I bought like 10 mice once and left them in my car for 2 hours and I put them back in my fridge just fine.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Justine66
bahahah!

yeah, well its already really cold here soo I'm thinking ill just toss them in a cooler and get the ice for good measure! lol

I think they'll be fine!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
ZiggysMom
Justinine66 your plan will work fine. I sometimes pick up bulb mice at the "local" shows, an hour from me or more. I use a small cooler and put several of those re-freezable packs in the cooler. Never a problem. With your shorter drive you'll be fine.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Justine66
oh wow!!!

great, thanks soo much Ziggysmom!
this was the only thing that I was worried about,

I feel much better now though!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
spyderk
That's really cool that you found a somewhat-local place to pick up mice. I get mine from Big Cheese (TX to WI) and they are a great price compared to the pet store. It's funny how excited we can get over these type of things!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Amanda47
Glad you're close enough to drive, that's awesome. I just got an order and paid $64 for shipping. Ouch.

But I did get a pound of dry ice to play with, so it was worth it

Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Justine66
Spyderk- ahaha! Yeah i know eh? "Dead animals for a low price and close by!!! Woo hoo! "
My mother thinks im nuts but shes nice about it lol

Amanda- yeah.. 64$ in shipping isnt cheap! Thats why i was also so happy i found this place! Lol as long as the qualitys good, ill keep buying from them. 5-10 bucks in gas is wayyy cheaper! Although no dry ice.. aha!

Ill be sure to post how it goes!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google