CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Edisto Serpentarium

Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Spurticus
Edisto Serpentarium

There's an Island about 45 minutes south of Charleston SC that is a very good vacation spot. Edisto Island SC and My wife and I spend a week there every May. The Island is very quiet with some nice beaches. Not very commercial yet they do have some nice attractions. They built a Serpentarium there a few years ago, and with my facination with snakes, I make it a point to go there a couple of times while we're in Edisto.
They have a very nice indoor exhibit, but the outside area is fantastic. Two large natural exhibits (one for venomous and the other for non-venomous) snakes, a Croc area, and another for Turtles. They also have a small ampitheater for doing snake fact shows for tourists and school groups.
The reptiles are all caught locally and are released back into the wild after the season. (open May to October). Of course my favorites are the Corn snakes, and they said this past May, they are noticing a big increase in the Okeetee Corns they're catching down in the lowcountry SC. Thought I'd post a few pictures of the exhibits. These are the new ones, I have tons more from the past 3 years.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
JoshnJJ
Wow, interesting pictures!!
I would love to have that picture number 4 on right side, to be in
the middle of my house. It's a beautiful view!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshnJJ View Post
Wow, interesting pictures!!
I would love to have that picture number 4 on right side, to be in
the middle of my house. It's a beautiful view!
yeah, I like that too.
They have that set up on the inside in the middle of the displays for the various snakes. Some of these are local caught snakes, and a few from other parts of the world. That area inside has a couple of Boa'a, an emerald tree boa, some Iguanas and some smaller lizards.
They have two bigger displays like this outside that hold the snakes that were taken in these pictures. Litterly hundreds of locally captured snakes in trees, in hollow logs, in grass or swimming around the mote around the islands (inside base of the wall).

Love that place, and usually wind up spending 4-5 hours in there every time we visit.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
dpreston66
Quote:
Love that place, and usually wind up spending 4-5 hours in there every time we visit.
I don't blame you! It looks like a great place to observe snake behavior.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreston66 View Post
I don't blame you! It looks like a great place to observe snake behavior.

Nice if you can get there around feeding time too.
They release a large case of live white mice and it's cool going back and forth from the Venomous to the Non-Venomous displays and watch the difference in the approach to feeding habits. The venomous snake of course strike and then start hunting the mice after they run off a short distance and then collapse, the non venomous snake start striking from the hollow logs or the thicker grass areas and coil around the prey and then eat !!!
They also release some small lizards and minows that the watersnakes take care of.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
reptile_jones
What are the black snakes?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile_jones View Post
What are the black snakes?
The ones mating I think are just Black Rat Snakes. The one posing (sitting up) is a coachwhip (black racer).

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
measley
that seems like so much fun! I wish I lived closer! I would be there all the time! I love the fact that they release the snakes back in the wild after the season. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
doortech9
I like the idea of how they feed. I think it would be quite interesting to see a snake hunt naturally, even though the mice are introduced. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
snakemom1961
First off thanks to you for sharing your experience. Second, is it because they are wc that they feed them live? I think it's awesome they release them at the end of the season, but I have to wonder how the snakes will react being put back in the wild after having had months where their food "just appears". Do they do any kind of tracking on the snakes they put back?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google