• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Whats the deal!

Yes I did.

Please allow me a moment to put on my Icy Hot Cornhuskers Glitter Cayenne Lipgloss.

This is the closest I could come with such short notice.

You are evil and must be put to death.
In some non-prejudicial/non-stigmatized sort of way.

There once was a woman from Venus

Who's.............................................

............................. That's as far as I want to go. I don't need to feel the wrath of

Deano

Wayne

I would love to read the rest of these posts (then again, maybe not) but due to a late night school meeting that went over coupled with cat medicating, I am running behind on getting my powerpoints done for class tomorrow... so I'll respond to just these few.

Then it occurred to me that the GayBLT Herpers had singled themselves out of the General Herpers and decided to have their own forum. But this struck me as kind of odd, because I did not believe they liked to be singled out themselves, but then there they are, singling themselves out, so the comment about taking control of a word, or in this case, an Acronymn, so it cannot be used to hurt them. And so while I had considered seeking counsel from the Lesbian community, what if my thoughts had been those of another nature-- Then I would have been even more confused.

There are many people in our group, some of whom are GLBT, and others of whom are simply interested in learning or experiencing new cultures. It really IS a culture thing... an understanding that you are surrounded by people who understand what you are going through or have gone through, who can offer advice and community to you as a member of a minority group or culture.

It's not about setting yourself apart, anymore than Pride is... it's about fostering a sense of belonging and community and providing a support network for people who are just coming out in what can be a very hostile and frightening straight world.

ANY member is welcome, regardless of gender, sexual orientation or any other demographic. All that is required is an open mind.

On that note it is the intent. Whats up my N amongst black people is a term of endearment, but when one says look at the N the meaning of the same word becomes quite different.

It is also a matter of culture... if you are not a part of that culture, interjecting yourself into it can be seen as disrespectful.

I am not saying that I agree with this point of view, in fact, if you read my initial statement, I do not... it is only what little information I have gleaned from conversations on this topic among African American friends and coworkers.

Dave linked us to a bunch of threads on DYK where the word fag was used. Elle uses that word to mean cigarette. For a short period several people made a joke of that including some of the homosexual members of our group. The word itself did no harm and everyone involved enjoyed the joke.

Which is fine, however, it is not something I personally agree with. I was simply offering up my opinion of the use of a word like that... people being free to do whatever they desire. I have always found this particular website to be very much open to the sharing of opinions and I am less hesitant to voice them here than I am on other forums, and certainly than I am in my real world work environment or my extended family.

Given certain reactions and responses in this thread, this may be a tendency that I will be curbing in the future.

Some people are eager to be offended and to find offence, Ricky/Michael. They will be successful in their search. The majority of us go through life trying very hard to not step on anyone’s toes. But truth be told, if you speak, you will offend those who want to find offence in your words.

I believe we have established that more people than Ricky and Michael were offended by Susan's comment. Why do we keep bringing them up while ignoring Tara, Janine, SnakeMom1961 (whose name escapes me-- apologies!) and Danielle? Why isn't anyone poking at them and accusing them of "looking for offence?"

Semantics aside, only Susan can explain exactly what she meant. I still don't see what place inciting lynching of a president, who as a bonus isn't white, has on this forum. Even if Susan is claiming divine inspiration and protection, it's still wrong IMO

I don't either, Janine. To be perfectly frank and honest, I was willing to let the initial mark slide as an ill-timed and off the cuff emotional statement... one of those things you say when frustrated that really doesn't mean anything. The fact that Susan came back later and CONFIRMED exactly what she meant, and added the comment regarding Mr. Obama's race pretty much obliterated my willingness to overlook her prior comment and assume the best.

In addition, Susan, my dear? You know who else used God to justify murder and other attrocities?

Al Qaeda.

How's that for "calling a spade a spade" folks??

I would love to read the rest of these posts (then again, maybe not) but due to a late night school meeting that went over coupled with cat medicating, I am running behind on getting my powerpoints done for class tomorrow... so I'll respond to just these few.

There are many people in our group, some of whom are GLBT, and others of whom are simply interested in learning or experiencing new cultures. It really IS a culture thing... an understanding that you are surrounded by people who understand what you are going through or have gone through, who can offer advice and community to you as a member of a minority group or culture.

It's not about setting yourself apart, anymore than Pride is... it's about fostering a sense of belonging and community and providing a support network for people who are just coming out in what can be a very hostile and frightening straight world.

ANY member is welcome, regardless of gender, sexual orientation or any other demographic. All that is required is an open mind.

It is also a matter of culture... if you are not a part of that culture, interjecting yourself into it can be seen as disrespectful.

I am not saying that I agree with this point of view, in fact, if you read my initial statement, I do not... it is only what little information I have gleaned from conversations on this topic among African American friends and coworkers.

Which is fine, however, it is not something I personally agree with. I was simply offering up my opinion of the use of a word like that... people being free to do whatever they desire. I have always found this particular website to be very much open to the sharing of opinions and I am less hesitant to voice them here than I am on other forums, and certainly than I am in my real world work environment or my extended family.

Given certain reactions and responses in this thread, this may be a tendency that I will be curbing in the future.

I believe we have established that more people than Ricky and Michael were offended by Susan's comment. Why do we keep bringing them up while ignoring Tara, Janine, SnakeMom1961 (whose name escapes me-- apologies!) and Danielle? Why isn't anyone poking at them and accusing them of "looking for offence?"

I don't either, Janine. To be perfectly frank and honest, I was willing to let the initial mark slide as an ill-timed and off the cuff emotional statement... one of those things you say when frustrated that really doesn't mean anything. The fact that Susan came back later and CONFIRMED exactly what she meant, and added the comment regarding Mr. Obama's race pretty much obliterated my willingness to overlook her prior comment and assume the best.

In addition, Susan, my dear? You know who else used God to justify murder and other attrocities?

Al Qaeda.

Exactly!. This is a great post, and it does all come back to culture. It's easy for me to understand why their would be things like GBLT, because naturally society isn't always accepting of other cultures and it's important to be around people who understand what your going through. As is with most minorities in this country they become fragmented by the majority and often both neglected and disrespected. It's not right, and groups help to galvanize and conquer that. It's the only real way cultures change in this nation (ie. Slavery, Segregation, Women's Rights, and now Gay rights).

As for your performance on calling a spade a spade, I'll give you a 9 out of 10. Great, ironic, clever, riveting, etc!; loved it. I just would have liked to see Al Qaeda written in red!.

Al Qaeda.

I'm out of rep power, I owe you one for this post.

@ Lauren, post #349,......obviously I have not gone back and read the whole thread, because as I sit here I'm trying to figure if I am annoyed and want to get more so. (And not meaning at you.)

But I'm giving the quotes you've chosen the benefit of the doubt...because I know and like and respect all of those people. Sometimes Dave's multi-faceted posts are hard to decipher, but he has been honest, kind, straightforward, and decent in all of our dealings. Never judge a book by its cover,...or too quickly...folks.

I actually, as a gay person, reserve the right to use any and all associated slang for laughs. And most often at myself, or others I identify closely with. I consider myself fairly well-adjusted, maybe not supremely so, but stable.
But sometimes, Dave, we do have issues that the rest of the world does not want to hear about,...or so I've gathered. ;) :laugh:

There are all sorts of social groups. The guys in the GSC one can go there and vent in privacy. Nothing wrong with that.
I almost never go to the GLBT group,...but I know my brothas and sistahs are there if and when I need a place to rant or whine. Or just tell an off-color joke about breeders.

"Charged" slang dynamics, I believe, has to do with power. Who comes up with a word against whom, and their relative power positions/relationship in a society. I think resolution of the power asymmetry is the key to de-demonizing unsavory slang labels.
For example, when somebody calls me a slang, they either are my power equal (not offensive),....or they are using it in an attempt to subordinate me (offensive).

So,...in this context : Was "lynching" originally used in a sense to subordinate or reduce the dignity of Obama?

Hypancistrus thanks good post. I always figured we'd all get along, if theres one thing in common it mutual appreciations of strong will and dererminate souls. As I searched around i found it interesting to see that this was a congealment of thoughts that needed to have been said for a long time. (refering to original post).
google showed me lots of misuse of site context for some years, and you're not a newbie -Reputations: a lifetime to build, seconds to destroy. better me take your first _-word post than @ long time other boardies. cornies. you other fine folks in the audience. If you used your special powers to psychicly realize I was thick skinned enough to handle it, now you know you can trust them always, and in good faith.
Which brings me, ironically, back to one of my initial assertayshuns, I don't care what anyone does in the privacy of their homes, crawl around on their bellies like reptiles, what has any of that to do with me? nada everyone should marry another whence souls suits each others kneads and essences of abstraction for which words won't reciprocate requate. whoevers right for each other, if being married is what they want, enact equal rights. THe whole all inclusive equal rights. Laws can't tell you that you are or arent allowed to be the person god created you to be or whatever you want to call that. (nature) or change your nature, if that's what you really feel you need to do. again, what has any of that to do with me? Im one person and theres how many billion other people that dont have a cornsnake to feed yet, I gotta get back to work awhile. I guess if we can all get along 80% of the time, we should be alright, give or take. I couldn't find a program to measure it for certain. I don't have time to get tied up in trying to figure out what each of mine LifesRoad labels say; I got waterbowls to change, and i pray everyone else comfortable with theirownselfs too. Thanks for sharing. dahttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=concern+trollve

"Charged" slang dynamics, I believe, has to do with power. Who comes up with a word against whom, and their relative power positions/relationship in a society. I think resolution of the power asymmetry is the key to de-demonizing unsavory slang labels.
For example, when somebody calls me a slang, they either are my power equal (not offensive),....or they are using it in an attempt to subordinate me (offensive).

This is, by far, the best explanation I've read regarding the whole "But they call each other that!" dynamic. Kudos, Eric! :cheers:

Now, where mah Krauts and Micks at? :grin01:

Dale

@ Lauren, post #349,......obviously I have not gone back and read the whole thread, because as I sit here I'm trying to figure if I am annoyed and want to get more so. (And not meaning at you.)

But I'm giving the quotes you've chosen the benefit of the doubt...because I know and like and respect all of those people. Sometimes Dave's multi-faceted posts are hard to decipher, but he has been honest, kind, straightforward, and decent in all of our dealings. Never judge a book by its cover,...or too quickly...folks.

I actually, as a gay person, reserve the right to use any and all associated slang for laughs. And most often at myself, or others I identify closely with. I consider myself fairly well-adjusted, maybe not supremely so, but stable.
But sometimes, Dave, we do have issues that the rest of the world does not want to hear about,...or so I've gathered. ;) :laugh:

There are all sorts of social groups. The guys in the GSC one can go there and vent in privacy. Nothing wrong with that.
I almost never go to the GLBT group,...but I know my brothas and sistahs are there if and when I need a place to rant or whine. Or just tell an off-color joke about breeders.

So,...in this context : Was "lynching" originally used in a sense to subordinate or reduce the dignity of Obama?
Absolutely, and I could try and think of why it is acceptable for one group and not another, but putting it in the context of power is genius; Seriously, very very smart!!. It's not that any hate groups do have power over the groups they hate, but it's the way they use the words in an attempt to rob that group of their humanity and equality.

For instance, if my brother called me a cripple I would laugh, because we're both in the same boat and it's a way of being melodramatic instead of pitiful. If someone else said it to me I would be very upset, and rightfully so, because the context would be devoid of the struggle that it takes to conquer the illness. Some people do use slang as a substitute for pitying themselves and people in their shoes, so I totally understand how those words can be used positively.

It takes on a separate meaning and in a way it means that you share the same struggle with the person you say it to. That's why it does matter who said it and how it was said; the term "Lynch" was used against a black president by a white person, and in coordination with other statements, does have racist implications!. Great post Eric, and just very well said. That's one of the smartest ways I've seen this topic broken down and thank you for posting it!!.

I've just spent the last half an hour reading through the 150 or so posts since my last visit.
There were so many posts I wanted to quote and comment on and posts I wanted to quote and agree with, but at this stage of the game it's too late/pointless....
But I would like to answer the one post that said 'Politics on our little snake forum won't change the world'...... That is true.....
But here's a little something for you all to think about.....
My friend works for a government agency, his job is to scour the net looking for insurgents..... They have kit to locate people the Jazzgeek could only dream of.... Adding your website to dubious posts makes their job ever so much easier..... And they all share information..... So it may not change the world, but it could spoil your life if they start to look more closely into your ideals and beliefs....
;)

I still would most like to ask what place inciting the lynching of the president has on this forum? As much as I or anyone else on here can second-guess, it's really only Susan's explanation that matters, as she made the post.

Back