• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 corns in 1 cage

Another co-hab battle...
They always come around every six months or so.

Tone it down a little, don't want to see anybody get a infraction here.

Tone it down a little, don't want to see anybody get a infraction here.

Hmmm maybe I should rephrase that.

Aw darlin', I know you would miss me here, but we have FB!!!

Don't fret my Sweets... they don't have the stones to do that to you.

But bottom line is that your're better off not co-habing because the keeper is not at risk, the snake is. And only very experience keep can foolishly do this.

So the lesson of all this is to listen to the majority and not the minority. Its something that happens almost everyday so no need to try and change it now.

Not intending to re-open old topics heedlessly, but I wanted to thank the many people here who took their time and spent their effort to educate newcomers like me on co-habitating. When we got our most recent females, the pet store said it would be okay to co-hab them (note that the manager we spoke to owns reptiles, and does co-hab his own female corns until adolescence...with the caveat that they need to be watched for issues, and once they were older, they needed separated)

After reading this entire thread...which was less-than-pleasant at times, I realize that I really don't want to co-hab our girls...just-in-case. It's all well and good for those who do with no problems, but it's a lot cheaper to set up another habitat (we actually had all but a UTH for a fourth viv) than to buy another snake if one of our babies dies. Plus there's the whole...I really adore my snakes and want what's best for them.

So, yes the search function works really well, and thank you to those who feel passionately enough to take the time to educate those in need.

since this is back up..i got a question.if you had the conditions right. lets say 30 to 55 gallon tank with multiple hide, dig, and climbing spots. or just a big viv with a lot of space. would i still be putting them in danger housing 2 males together?

Males are more known to show aggression towards each other, esp. during breeding season. Aggression is not usually seen in a manner one would typically expect and therefore can easily be missed by the inexperienced keeper until one snake is very stressed and starts to have problems.

In my personal opinion co-habbing should be avoided for all of the reasons previously mentioned but if it is going to be done, it should be done by an experienced breeder who knows each snake well as an individual before they are put in a communal viv and should be done with females only, and still you run risks.

Cohabbing is a bad idea for all of those reasons and like Asbit said some do. I am one of those people. I would never recommend for people to do it. Like Asbit said, I know my snakes very very well and I am home 24/7. I have one female that was cohabbed for a few years. I bred her for the first time this year and after the babies her personality has changed and I can tell by her body language that she will never be cohabbed again just by the way that she reacts when she see's another snake. And she just tightens up and doesn't move.

I do not think that a 55gal is a good tank to cohab. Snakes need away to get away from each other and really a 55 doesn't really have much more floor space than a 20 gal. I don't have more than 2 snakes together in anything less than a 100 gal. The way that I have it set up on my cohab tanks is the hot spot is in the middle and cool on either side. That way they both have a cool and warm side without being anywhere near each other. That also gives me a quick way to divide the tank if a problem does arise.

Really getting a tank that big just to keep 2 snakes together, when they really could not care if they were together or not. is retarded. I did have American and African cichlids so I already had tanks that big set up.

Your welcome, I guess. As long as you know all the risks of cohabbing. Cause even if they are in a big tank does not mean that it is not risk free.

Just because I jump off the cliff and I tell you how I landed with out dying does not mean it is a good idea.

Shak, do be aware that a 100 gallon tank is freakishly expensive, usually. And huge. And heavy. And... if you do go the 100 gallon route, you could always put a divider in so that you turn it into 2 tanks.

Well..I don`t think co-habbing is a bad idea. I`ve never exprienced any terrible situations until now. I raise each two baby corns in one 28qt sterilite tub until they get juvenile and seperate them to give them larger space. I always feed and fed them seperately in same tub and never ever aggressive actions occured between them. I know most of people think co-habbing is a bad idea but I don`t agree with that in my experience.

@ dek592
Well..I don`t think co-habbing is a bad idea. I`ve never exprienced any terrible situations until now.

So what would be the terrible situation(s) now? I just noticed you eluded to something bad happened but avoided stating what and then went on promote co-habbing. So I'm curious what negative things have you now experienced?

You know i understand how this is a serious thread and it does deserve serious answers. whether those answers be fact or opinion and as i read i see excellent reasoning why
co-habbing is NOT smart. But i just love reading this and i switches from inseminating a snake with a turkey blaster to going back to co-habbing then back to inseminating a snake with a feeding tube this time. I am sorry but i find it funny.

Back