• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Poop Thread

Snake has done that before, I assumed it was due to constipation, I haven't seen any poop around the viv for a week or so, which doesn't mean much because Snake has taken to the lovely habbit of burrowing and then pooping on the floor rather than the substrate.

Anyway, where its been a while since I've seen Snake poop, I assumed this was just constipation and the small clumps were just remnants of different meals.

Her last one was weird, but this one is a bit more normal... but, is that grey-pink part (which came out last) a bit of undigested stuff? That's not abnormal, right? Sorry it's on weird granite pattern linoleum :p

I feel weird taking pictures and uploading pictures of poop!

Attachments

• poop.JPG
    poop.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 299
I would say with 90% certainty that's something undigested. After looking around google for a bit the most common culprits of that are

a: Not warm enough, check the temp your heat mat is getting to, and check both the hot and cold side. I've noticed that where I have the viv one end stays nice and warm, while the other end drops as low as 10'c. Luckily the snake is in a breeding box for now since its only tiny. When I move it to the full viv I plan on having heat mats at both ends (small one at the cold end to keep it near 17. Big one at hot end aiming for around 30)

b: Upper respieratory infection. But that can come on as a symptom of a, so that's the most likely culprit.

Hmm, I moved her to her 20 long a bit over a month ago, and she's slowly getting larger and larger meals. She has had her first fuzzy, but I'm also trying to use up some jumbo pinkies, so oftentimes I've been giving her two of those- combined equivalent weight of a fuzzy.

She's been fine up until now and, temperature-wise, I haven't changed anything so I'm a bit stumped. I'll have to go in and re-check things, I guess. See how the heat mat is performing. Maybe I should put my smaller heat mat on the "cool side" like you're going to do.

I haven't been able to find much info while internet searching. So, the only normal undigested bits to have would be fur or bone?

OK, here I was feeling better and now another poop incident....

I fed her about two days ago (a single, regular fuzzy which she ate backwards) and this morning I woke up to find what looked like a normal poop in the aspen on one side of her tank and a shrunken, half-digested but still recognizable mouse head on the other. I can only assume the head came out the back end... this is only her 2nd fuzzy and was by far the biggest meal she's ever had (she's about 7 months old). I had even put a couple slits in the gut of the mouse before feeding and squeezed the skull a little to break it up a bit...

Is there something wrong or is she just adjusting to the larger sized food item?

I feel stupid for having done this, but I cleaned up the poop and tossed out the mouse head remains... She pooped again tonight when I handled her, and it looked like more undigested stuff. There was more liquid, but I sopped some of it up before I thought to take a picture first.

She seemed to be acting normally. Although, before this pictured poop happened, I noticed that her cloaca "puckered" out like she was going to poop, but then she didn't, and there was a tiny bead of clear liquid that formed on her vent. Like she had strained but didn't get anything out...?

She's out and about tonight like she might be hungry. It's only been a little over 72 hours since she at that fuzzy.I'm really worried. I wish I knew what was going on.

Attachments

• IMG_0640scale.JPG
    IMG_0640scale.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 258
If she isn't digesting the fuzzies at the moment lower her down to pinkies again for a little while and see if it still happens. You may want to keep her on larger pinkies for a little while longer if that's the case.

Also if you thought she might be straining a little, try giving her a bath, just fill a tuppaware pot with a little bit of water, let it get to room temperature, and then give her a swim, see if that helps out any.

My main question is-- is it at all possible that the head I found was regurged but the body was digested? I don't really see how that could happen, but I want to take appropriate action if it were a regurge...

Since her appetite has been fine, I'm thinking I will back her down to to maybe just a large pinky and see what happens. If she's able to digest it just fine I'll know it was the meal size. If she continues to pass things undigested than I'll know it's something more serious and look into a vet visit...

Resurrecting the poop thread again for these... Are these within the range of normal? I did just give her a new thermostat. These are both after the same meal, a 25 gram mouse. Poop #1 is 3 days after eating, Poop #2 is 5 days after.

Attachments

• Weirdpoop.jpg
    Weirdpoop.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 189
Both look like normal fresh poop to me, Jenna and I'd bet if they were left to dry out they'd just be chalky urates and fecal matter (and look like dried bird poo)

HELP! please. Is my first day with this snake
and he did this. I dont know if is poop or an indigested part of mice. Or blood.
I dont know what to think. it was bright red litle ball.

Also I think I might be a bit skinny, because I can see the spine. but he is acting ok. it doesnt look sick or anything, still very social and active. He is also shedding soon

let me know please, any information can help. im worried.
Thanks a lot.

oktrpj.png

2jezpf4.jpg

2vjufeu.jpg

33z75w6.jpg

Im hoping one of the experts re coming on because that is not normal looking to me.. You are right regarding the shed though. So don't feed your snakes until that is done... One of the pro's should peek on the thread soon..

I think it could be the skull of a mice he regurge, it was surrounded by some kind of liquid and a weird smell. Is the size of a fingernail. I contacted the previous owner and he said it never happen before, but he thinks is regurge. I think it was all the stress of moving here and stuff. Im going to let him rest without handleling him till the shed. He suposed to eat this saturday, I dont know if he should eat yet.

No if he regurded you need to wait two weeks.... if he's thin then it might have happened before and when you feed he should be fed half the size of what he normally eats basically.. There is a link..

You know what, you might want to start a new thread for your own on this one. That does look really bad, and because that other thread is so old and is basically for answers to the original 10 questions yours might be overlooked. I wish I had a good answer for you but someone more experienced needs to take a look at this one, and I would set up a vet appointment just in case.

Let us know what happens, good luck!

Back