CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

In need for second opinions!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Bordlampe
Exclamation In need for second opinions!

Hello!
So i have two cornsnakes, and i've had them for about two years now.
Lately a lot have happened in my personal life, and it has affected my "abilities" to take care of my snakes properly. I feel very bad about this, and i hate to admit it.
One of my snakes is really easy to care for, and isnt a problem for me. But the other one is a little harder to handle and stuff. Not because anything is wrong with her, she's just not as used to being handled.

I've considered selling the one who is hard to handle. I'd hate to lose her, but at the same time i just want whats best for her, which i think would be finding a new owner for her.

So what do you think about this situation? And if i do sell her, how can i make sure the new owner is good enough?

-Thanks.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Em.Mo.Clark
Just a thought, but if it's that your snake doesn't like to be handled, I don't think that's going to change with a new owner. They're still going to have to feed her, change her water and bedding, and tend to her basics just like you would. Changing her environment and home might actually be more traumatic to her. But I could be wrong. As for deciding on an owner, you could always list a qualification about already having owned snakes in the past, or maybe find some Facebook pages for snake lovers and post about it there. And I believe there's a buy and sell section on this forum as well, I'm pretty sure everybody here would be a better snake owner than your average Joe. Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Twolunger
If your personal issues are such that you can't take care of two corn snakes, sell them both. Your snakes deserve to be in a home with owners who can provide excellent care. You can reserve the right to ask what a prospective buyer's experience is, and what other pets are in their household. You may also want to visit the home before selling the snakes.
Judging by your age, you have plenty of time to have snakes in the future when your personal issues are resolved.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If your personal issues are such that you can't take care of two corn snakes, sell them both. Your snakes deserve to be in a home with owners who can provide excellent care. You can reserve the right to ask what a prospective buyer's experience is, and what other pets are in their household. You may also want to visit the home before selling the snakes.
Judging by your age, you have plenty of time to have snakes in the future when your personal issues are resolved.
I have to aggre altho if your wanting to get rid of the one thats harder to handle because your frightened of him/her biteing you i would just keep calm and pick her/him up 4 times a week for 15mins and it will settle down it will take time be you will get used to her/him, if your sceared the snake will be if your calm and relaxed the snake will feel calmer

I got my rexy 1-2yrs ago shes 8yrs old and i was petrified!!! of snakes, now i have 14 snakes 3 lizards

Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Caryl
Snakes are individuals with individual personalities. Some are very calm and appear to enjoy interacting with humans, others just aren't. Increasing interactions generally helps but some snakes are simply going to remain less enthusiastic about handling.

As to finding a responsible new owner, you've gotten excellent advice. You are to be commended for caring.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Twolunger
I had heard that certain morphs are more aggressive, or I should say, dislike being handled. I had read that the sunkissed corn snakes fit that description. Since I have 1.2 2016 sunkissed I was surprised to hear that because mine seemed to be gentle. But the last time I cleaned their containers I was bitten by the male five times. Go figure. The females are still docile, so looks like I need to handle the male more often.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Patmart
Just a question do you feed them in the viv ?
Pat

Old 09-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Pat

thats down to personal preference some people dont feed in the viv because sometimes the snake will think its feeding time each time the hand gose into the viv

And some people do, i feed all my corns in the viv and i have never had a problem

Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Patmart
I have always fed in their feed box
It works for me
Pat

Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Pat

I feed mine in a separate container (tbh a clear storage bin) for a couple reasons. First of all, so that he doesn't associate his tank with feeding, and second, so that he doesn't accidentally eat any of his bedding during the feeding process, as I've heard that can be pretty dangerous for the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google