CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Tools of Photography

Old 01-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
schilsound
Exclamation Tools of Photography

Hey all!

I am a longtime ebayer and am currently cataloging my new purchases from the tail end of the 'os season [that's a joke].

Until I get to know my snakes a bit better I am making sure I don't mix my genetics. Let me explain:

I'm clinically unable to remember names, so naming these [they will be pet/breeders] and trying to remember any kind of potential combo of ghost/butter/lav/etc ad nauseum will be virtually impossible for me.

So I guess in one way that's a photography tool right there. I mean the big league breeders already know that a good picture will make for an easier sell for an animal, but for the novice/pet owner the photos can be a tool in and of itself simply for memory's sake, tracking growth and pattern progress, color shifts, etc etc. Good to know in case you might ever want to switch over to breeding an animal.

The other facets that I know and have experienced are simple- always get the best you can afford- $25 difference betweena pair of digital cameras might make all the difference, whether it manifests itself in a better optical over a digital zoom, easier/more programability, or whatever other feature you might find. Simply be aware of what is out there and resist the urge from sales people to rush your decision.

Another simple tool for the novice photog is a tripod. When dealing with less than optimal light conditions it's amazing how much more effective a low-end camera can become.

And if you can afford it I highly recommend a bounced or boxed light indoors. Not only will the higher light levels provided by these babies enable you to show more of your snakes' colors, but the additional drive can make a HUGE difference in saturation and contrast levels when dealing with less expensive CCDs found in most camreas.

Speaking of contrast- there's a fine line to be walked.

While you certainly don't want a dull picture having a background with too much detail or too many colors can certainly distract from the main opject in the image. This can lead to false or low color saturation, darm to no contrast images, or even focus issues.

That being said you should choose a color that provides you with a baseline for all of your images. I recommend either a fabric or a cloth- there are many cheap fabrics in grey that make for an effective background, particularly if you want to edit your photo- with a colored solid background you now know when your editing leads to false coloration.

And on to editing- remember that what looks better and has more impact does not necessarily mean it is accurate. Strive to enhance your photo without adding too much undue coloration.

There- I think that qualifies as my $0.75 on the subject. Hope there was something useful in there.. .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google