• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

shedding and pinkies ???

snakegrrl

Back from the dead
Hello all, I have got two more questions about my baby ghost, Mago - he's roughly 4-5 months old. First, I was wondering how long before his first shed, and if he has had one (or many) before I got him three weeks ago.

Also, I was feeding him live pinkies for the first two weeks, but this past week I did not have time to get to the store in time for him to be fed on the right day, so i defrosted and fed him one of my emergency frozen pinkies. He ate it right up, and is fine now, but I was wondering if feeding him frozen pinkies is somehow bad for his health or risky even if he is eating them readily (within a few seconds). If anybody could help me on these two questions it would be greatly appreciated. You have all been a great help already. Thanx.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with feeding frozen/thawed. In fact, it's recommended, because once he gets on larger prey (hoppers and bigger), the live food can cause him injury. Frozen/thawed mice will not (assuming they're completely thawed).

-Kat

Agreed ... if at all possible I think its much better to feed frozen/thawed than live.

snakegrrl said:
I was wondering how long before his first shed, and if he has had one (or many) before I got him three weeks ago.

snakegrrl,

By now your little Mago has probably shed three times (just a guess). Ecdysis occurs for the first time shortly after hatching and then roughly every 4-6 weeks (for hatchlings) depending on how often they're fed. We feed our two hatchlings once per week and they're on that shed cycle.

The first signs will be muted color, often seen on their belly scales, and then blue eyes a couple days after that. During the opaque (blue eyed phase) your Corn may become jumpy and not want to be held or eat. After the shed though, Mago will enjoy a nice pre-killed pinkie and his demeanor should return to it's previous state.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jason

thanx

Thanx you guys, that's helpful. I can't wait til Mago's next shed, it should be really interesting (even if that means I can't hold him for a while - tear). I'm glad he takes pinkies, that'll be quicker and easier from now on. I've heard a lot of different things about how to make his tank more humid when it is time for him to shed. Any suggestions on the best way to do that? So far I'm just going to put a waterbowl on the warm side of the tank - does that work? Thanx.

Back