CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Extreme Masque or Diffused/Granite?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
KvanAalten
Extreme Masque or Diffused/Granite?

Hi all, it's my first breeding so I'm a bit stuck on the whole extreme masque versus diffused thing. I've gotten some that are really obvious Masque but I have my doubts on these. Pairing was: Normal het Amel, Anery, Diffused, Hypo *, Lava, Motley x Hypo Diffused het Anery
* dad was proven het Hypo with this clutch.

Would love to know your opinion on these:

Number 1, Hypo Diffused?:

Number 2, Extreme Masque Anery?:

Number 3, Diffused?:

Number 4, Extreme Masque Anery?:

Number 7, Diffused?:

Number 11, Diffused?:

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Crazy Colubrids
They all look to have Diffused gene to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
crturley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Colubrids View Post
They all look to have Diffused gene to me.
I would agree, though I may not be up on the latest Masque theorizing, so I bow to anyone who is . . . .

In my experience, Masque still leaves some checkers, though they are squeezed to the very edge of the ventral scales. What I see on yours (particularly the Aneries), looks more like the bleed-over pigmentation you see on animals with nice lateral diffusion (like pied-sideds). Here are some photos of two males from a Striped Blood x Oak Miami clutch. (The mother doesn't carry the Diffused gene.)

Sorry, the shots are pretty quick and dirty:

Male 1 head
Male 1 vent (the red wash on his belly makes it a little hard to see, but he's mostly checker-less until the last half)

Male 2 head
Male 2 vent (no red wash, so it's easier to see)

Anyway, if there are others who've produced Masque snakes without any checkers that have proven not to be Diffused, I'd be interested to hear it.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #4
KvanAalten
The thing that I wonder is why number 3 and 4 have so little side diffusion, just a bad example of diffused maybe? This clutch confuses the hell out of me anyway

Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
crturley
Quote:
Originally Posted by KvanAalten View Post
The thing that I wonder is why number 3 and 4 have so little side diffusion, just a bad example of diffused maybe? This clutch confuses the hell out of me anyway
Actually, 3 and 4 have what I'd call "average" diffusion. Most of yours have exceptionally good lateral diffusion for snakes that don't come from a pied-sided line. I've even seen some snakes that were proven to be diffused, but had no lateral diffusion at all (though that's also rare).

Old 08-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
KvanAalten
Quote:
Originally Posted by crturley View Post
Actually, 3 and 4 have what I'd call "average" diffusion. Most of yours have exceptionally good lateral diffusion for snakes that don't come from a pied-sided line. I've even seen some snakes that were proven to be diffused, but had no lateral diffusion at all (though that's also rare).
Actually mom is from a pied-sided line

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google