• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hiyas!

bladewolf175

Hi! I'm new to the snake keeping world but not to the reptile world. Recently, I had lost my bearded dragon who got to a nice old age of 9 1/2 yrs. After much thought and some time to grieve, I decided to keep a cornsnake. So I went to this new place in a city near me, since I heard a bit about it, just to pick up some supplies to finish my viv for my new pet. Everything:wavey: else was set up, I just needed the thermostat and uth.

So I get to the store and was greeted with smiling friendly faces. I was totally blown away by how knowledgeable the staff was too! I never see that in major chain stores which I would have to nag them just to get something. So I was discussing what reptile I was interested next and the staff happily showed me their stock on cornsnakes. I didn't exactly know which morph I liked but instantly fell in love with the albino. He/she had such beautiful shades of red, pink, and white! Anyway, I ask to hold her and once I did, I was hooked. He/she came home with me today. I hastily set up the rest of him/her and am currently, letting him/her settle in.

It really is hard to not pick them up to hold again. Lol Pictures will come as soon as I get my new phone later in the week. This one does not take good pics and has zero flash. Plus, I don't think my new friend will appreciate being disturbed again.

Until I can get him sexed, I'll just refer him as male for now. So for a name I think I'll go with Big Boss or Solid Liquid Solidus Snake. Yeah...I'm a gamer. :flames:

Welcome to the forum!
Can't wait to see pictures so we can determine the morph of your albino baby.
It is sooooooooooooooo addicting owning corns, I am having a blast with my two boys, and I plan on adding a female in the next year.
I hope you enjoy this forum- it's FFULLLLL of extremely useful knowledge and people who have been keeping corns foreverrrrr, who not only have experience but deeply love their snakes, too.
Congratulations!

*For the Horde!*

Thanks for the welcome. :D I finally got his temps to stabilize on both sides of the bin (using probe thermometers). Went to check up on her and realized that she hasn't left the cool side of the sterilight bin which is at 78F. Her hotspot is 85-86F. I just want to make sure that these were a good temp gradient for my new cornsnake and if I should change them. Also is this normal snake behavior on the first day home? I currently have her on paper towels with two hides on either end with a yogurt cup passive hide in the middle, and hoping to get the silk plants from my mom today.

Another question is this: Are any kind of silk flora OK for my cornsnake? Like the ones at the dollar or craft stores?

Thanks in advance! Learning so much already about these cute guys on the forums already! LOADS of info here.

This is normal behavior for every day. They mainly come out in the evenings. Congratulations on your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures. :)

Congrats. Welcome to the forum.

I identify with your "fall in love" moment. When I found my snake I wasn't going to leave the store without him even though the viv still needed work.

P.S. As long as you wash it, the dollar store plants are fine. Just look very carefully for exposed wires or sharp edges on any greenery. I bought some ivy at Petsmart that had exposed sharp wires sticking out of the plastic. Needless to say it did not go into the viv.

Gah! I realize that I put 'hers' where 'hims' should be. Lol I am so used to posting about my female beardie. Anyway, thank you for the info. As I was checking his temps, I decided to snap a picture with my camera. Hopefully, I didn't hurt him since I forgot that the flash was on...

So here he is, hiding behind his water dish.

He really is cute! I seriously struggled with getting him right then and there because I didn't have everything quite set up. But it all turned out great in the end! If anyone can help me identify his morph that would be great. Um I'll take better pics when he's more used to his surroundings and when I think he'll be OK when handled.

Attachments

• 20150801_111141_20150801113551894.jpg
    20150801_111141_20150801113551894.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 23
Yeah, hiding is really normal for them, especially when they're introduced into a new place. You'll want to leave him alone for at least 4-5 days to get settled. Snakes regulate their own body temperature, so whichever side he is comfortable on at the time, that's where he'll be. He knows when he needs to be on the warm side, and he will go there.
He is super gorgeous, his coloring is really great!

Yeppers. Especially since my apartment temp can get pretty high. I'm on the second floor... Learned that trick. Got the Apollo thermostat for seedlings. I had read reviews that reptile enthusiasts use this for their temps too.

Thank you for all the welcomes. Big Boss thanks you for the wonderful compliments.

Yeppers About the thermostat. Especially since my apartment temp can get pretty high. I'm on the second floor... Learned that trick. Got the Apollo thermostat for seedlings. I had read reviews that reptile enthusiasts use this for their temps too.

Thank you for all the welcomes. Big Boss thanks you for the wonderful compliments.

Back