CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Great Surprise!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Arcanefate
Great Surprise!

Well Rich,
I am extremely hopeful with the adults I recently purchased from you, but I never would have expected a second clutch from one of the females only 13 days after arrival.
That is quite a pleasant surprise! In fact I noticed the Hypo het Amber & Lavender was going into blue the moment I took her out of the snake bag. She refused food the entire time so I was being cautious and placed a lay box in with her about 6 days ago. Now low and behold... I have an egg!

It is only one at the moment. I dare not disturb her to check to see how many she may be carrying, but she is very thin. Hopefully there will be no problems with egg binding. With her thin frame I do not see many lumps where eggs could be located. From my view in her box I expect only 3 more.

Is that normal for some of your females on a second clutch? I know you are very busy, but I was wondering if you happen to know if the Hypo het Amber and Lavender female that you sent me has laid second clutches okay with only about 310g on her?

Unfortunately tomorrow is the 4th of July so my Vet is closed, or else I would take her in just as a precautionary measure. Perhaps Wednesday if she has not laid all the eggs by then.

Once again, thank you very much Rich! I am extremely satisfied with my purchase for the year!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
eddie1976
I had the same thing happen with a lav female I got from Rich. She was not thin at all from her breeding, and was in blue when I got her also. She laid 4 eggs and 15 slugs. I am happy with the eggs I got and look forward to bredding her for real next year.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Joejr14
Rich has said that he never attempts to double clutch, but some females always do on him. Perhaps you got a habitual double clutcher.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Arcanefate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Rich has said that he never attempts to double clutch, but some females always do on him. Perhaps you got a habitual double clutcher.
Oh yes I know he doesn't! He had already warned me than some might. That is why I have been watching them so profusely since they arrived.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Arcanefate
Day 2:
8 eggs, and it looks like she still has one large lump left.
I am guessing that the large lumps I saw in her were the only viable ones. So far there are 2 large white eggs and 6 off-white small ones. The small one are about the width of my fingernail and twice the length of my fingernail. Even though they are not yellow, I am guessing by there size alone they are slugs.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanefate
Day 2:
8 eggs, and it looks like she still has one large lump left.
I am guessing that the large lumps I saw in her were the only viable ones. So far there are 2 large white eggs and 6 off-white small ones. The small one are about the width of my fingernail and twice the length of my fingernail. Even though they are not yellow, I am guessing by there size alone they are slugs.
What a great surprise! I would suggest that you hold on to the suspected slugs for a little while; you never know. I've had eggs that were smaller and slightly discolored turn out to be perfectly viable. If they're slugs, not big deal, if they're not, then you get some more babies.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Arcanefate
There is a total of 8 eggs and I am pretty sure only 2 are viable.
But, 2 from a second clutch that I was not expecting is still great in my book!

Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Rich Z
Yeah, some will and some won't. I actually wish they wouldn't double clutch. I really don't need more eggs, and it does take it's toll on the females. I tend to take all the double clutches and just put them into communal incubating boxes. Whatever hatches just gets sold as whatever it visually looks like as I don't keep track of parentage (for the most part) on those double clutches. If some real odd ball hatches out, oh well. Just one more thing to drive me crazy around here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google