CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Couple of spider pics

Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
Rich Z
Yeah, I can't say I would be very happy about having that spider jump onto the back of my neck.

It is supposed to be a "fishing spider" and mostly associated with living near water. I guess we have been getting a lot of rain lately. This one is on the screen enclosure surrounding our back porch. Except for the swimming pool, not much in the way of standing water anywhere nearby.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:02 AM   #12
Twolunger
I was weeding the flowers and noticed a tunnel in the ground, about an inch in diameter. It looked like it went straight down. Naturally, I couldn't leave it alone and had to dig it up to see what was inside. I found out, it was a huge spider that jumped on my hand. I sent it flying 20 feet in the air. Now I know what makes the burrows. I guess it was a wolf spider, but I wasn't going to try to locate it again to find out.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Dragonling
Those are all, in order:
Arrow-shaped Orbweaver (Micrathena sagittata)
Golden Silk Orbweaver (Nephila clavipes)
Whitebanded Fishing Spider (Dolomedes albineus)
Green Lynx Spider (Peucetia viridans)
and LOLDUNNO. Can't find a comparison photo and now I have company. It's going to bug me so I'll look it up later.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Rich Z
I've got a species of spider that I see around here every now and again that has a sort of fluorescent triangular shaped patch on it. Only seem to see it at night when it is reflecting light from that patch. Probably would be tough getting a good photo of it, though. IF I were so inclined to go out at night looking for one. Kind of hard to swat at mosquitoes when you've got 10 pounds or so (I'm just guessing) of camera gear in your hands.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
SnakeCreations
I'm not fond of spiders, but boy those are some nice photos!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
Dragonling
I think the last one might be a Basilica Orb Weaver (Mecynogea lemniscata). Most have red underbellies but I found a few photos that are similar to yours.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #17
Rich Z
Actually the last and next to the last pics are of the same spider. Some unlucky bug got distracted by my presence there and unfortunately was not looking where it was going and got caught up in the web while I was taking photos of that spider.

If I am not mistaken, it is a common yellow garden spider (Argiope aurantia)

Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 AM   #18
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCreations View Post
I'm not fond of spiders, but boy those are some nice photos!
We do seem to have a bunch of photogenic spiders around here. I'm still trying to find one type that I saw quite a few years ago when we first moved down here. I was shaped and styled pretty much like a jumping spider, but much MUCH larger. And it was bright red. Kind of resembled a velvet ant. But I have only seen the one, and never another since then.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually the last and next to the last pics are of the same spider. Some unlucky bug got distracted by my presence there and unfortunately was not looking where it was going and got caught up in the web while I was taking photos of that spider.

If I am not mistaken, it is a common yellow garden spider (Argiope aurantia)
Mm yes, you're right. I didn't think the belly pattern quite matched, but it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
We do seem to have a bunch of photogenic spiders around here. I'm still trying to find one type that I saw quite a few years ago when we first moved down here. I was shaped and styled pretty much like a jumping spider, but much MUCH larger. And it was bright red. Kind of resembled a velvet ant. But I have only seen the one, and never another since then.
Apache jumper maybe? https://bugguide.net/node/view/85166

Old 08-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #20
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Yes! From what I can recall, yes, that is exactly what I saw. Thanks for looking it up for me. Now I just have to see another on and get a photo of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google