CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Bathing Chambers

Old 07-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
BeauBoi
Bathing Chambers

Hi All!

I have started several threads here, when I first started projects, which sadly remain un-updated and unfinished.

An old saying, that I often heard growing up, "Men make plans, God laughs." pretty well sums up the circumstances relating to my unfinished projects.

My reptile room remains in a state of disarray, due to an number of unforeseen events. The biggest problem being the failure of our central air and heat. It went out right at the beginning of summer, and before we could have someone in to fix it, we discovered that my spouse will be laid off soon. Though we aren't too worried about the job situation (already have lots of other job offers), we felt it would be best to wait about spending the $6000 on an new unit until we are sure what is going to happen employment wise.

Needless to say, we couldn't just go without air conditioning, so we purchased a couple of window units (one for the snake room and one for our bedroom), but the smaller unit in the snake room just doesn't keep the room as cool as I would like during the high-heat hours of the day.

So....I have now added a new area to my tanks/rubs: a Bathing Chamber. I have taken plastic shoeboxes from the Dollar Tree and used a soldering iron to cutout an entrance into the top of each lid (a circular cutout about twice the size of a silver dollar). Then I put large size gravel into the bottom of the shoeboxes and add water to 3/4 of the way to the top.

Now, during the hottest hours of the day, all of my snakes can be found cooling off in their Bathing Chambers. The all REALLY seem to like it. So much so, that even after the air gets fixed (or, more accurately, replaced) I plan to keep the Bathing Chambers.

The only "problem" I have had with the new chambers, is that a couple of my snakes poop in them...lol. Not really a "problem" so much as an annoyance, but if nothing else it keeps me on my toes as far as cleaning them goes.

Just thought I would share,
Beau

Old 07-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Pilarcoder
That's sounds really cool when you get a chance post some pictures once my noodle settles in a few more months and isn't hiding in the faux plants and hides "all" the time I'll take some out and likely add one myself also they double as a moist hide

Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
DollysMom
Very clever solution to the problem. I'll keep this in mind if we have an a/c failure.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
BeauBoi
I will take some photos today, and try to post them tonight! I am sort of surprised that I didn't think of doing this sooner, AC aside, as the seem so happy with the "Baths".
I have been working on a new idea for a rack (I will post more on it if it works out like I think it will), and I fully intend to add the "Baths" to it as well.
~Beau

Old 07-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
DLena
Please post really clear pictures. I'd like to do this, too. I'm not a creative thinker, so my snakes babies will appreciate your idea and be very grateful toward you!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #6
kdickens
Great idea! I may do this as well since it's so hot here in Delaware. My AC is working at the moment (actually, it's a heat pump) so my snake's room is pretty comfortable. I recently got a humid hide and keep damp moss inside ... that's his new favorite spot when it's warm out. I have an idea of what your bath looks like from your description. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
BeauBoi
Hi All!
I am SO sorry it has taken me so long to post these! These past few weeks have been unbelievably hectic, and I apologize!

In any case, here (I hope!) are the pictures!
~Beau

Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
BeauBoi
Lol, ok that was 1 picture (of the "Bath" w/ e lid off). Let's try for a picture with the lid on this time!
~Beau

Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
BeauBoi
Honestly, I think these make a good replacement for a both humid hides and water bowls. I made the very first one because one of my snakes was makIng SUCH a mess of her water bowl every day. She would get into the bowl and thrash about madly until the entire cage (and all the substrate) were soaking wet. I had become sick of replacing substrate almost daily and decided to try this.
Later, when the AC (actually, a heat pump) went out, I decided to see how the others would like it.
I don't see any negatives, except that I will have to remove it during laying season (but I have to remove water bowls then anyway...), so I plan to just leave them in with all my snakes from now on.
~Beau

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google