• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

One more corn lover!

I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in here, because I can. This girl seems nice enough, and has her heart in the right spot. But we jump on her like idiots making us look like a nasty forum that pushes people away. She is going off what she knows. We were taught stoves were hot, correct? Yet, if a group of people were to tell is stoves were cold it would take some convincing. I agree, co-habbing is wrong, but that's what she was taught so she though she was right. Just because people on 1 forum say something is true is not always convincing. Sure, this is a tight nit community but at the same time we're not welcoming her in any sort of way. I just think we need to be much less harsh on newbies, I mean we say we're nice people right? Education through compassion is better than education through force and nasty words.

I agree with you David, and I have held my tongue til now.
She is dealing with a horrible pet shop that she thinks is just fine, because that is all she knows. ANY shop that practices co habbing, and worse yet, reccomends it, not to mention taking in wild animals and exposing the whole population of creatures to that issue..is just awful imo.

And her mother...who wants the corn kept on sand (yeah, corns are desert animals..righttttttttttttttttttttttttt), because she doesn't want to waste money on aspen or a PROPER substrate, and thinks that a vet for a sick snake is a waste of money...not to mention her opinions of animals that just don't fit her standards (yeah, I can see her throwing perfectly healthy animals in the freezer just on how they look).....that woman sounds like someone who should not be allowed within 30 feet of ANY living creature.

So, yes, up until now I have kept my fingers quiet.
As far as co habbing....see my avatar? Cute little guy isn't he? As much as I love him, he was never supposed to be hatched. In spring of 2005 a rack of mine malfunctioned and nearly caught my house on fire. In a pinch I put 2 snakes together that I thought were males. One wasn't...long story short she became eggbound and died. That little guy is the result. His name is Kato. And even if the snakes don't eat each other or cause each other physical harm, they are not designed by nature to live in pairs or groups. They are not social animals. They do not travel in herds in the wilds of Florida....Being forced to live with another can cause stress. Alot of stress. And stress can kill or at least shorten their lifespans. Not to mention give them a miserable and sad little life. My animals are worth more than that.

I agree with you David, and I have held my tongue til now.

I can't agree. Seems like everyone is civil on this thread so far.
She ""researching"" the internet to gain a vast more information that just a pet shop. There ARE thing that aren't right that Beth has stated and to me, this is the best source for CORN snake information.

I can't agree. Seems like everyone is civil on this thread so far.
She ""researching"" the internet to gain a vast more information that just a pet shop. There ARE thing that aren't right that Beth has stated and to me, this is the best source for CORN snake information.

What I meant was, not to jump all over the girl because of all she doesn't know. She really has not had access to the best information. Please amellavender, stick around. Honest, this really is the BEST place to learn about this species.

I agree with Beth and Lenny, I think it was Maya Angelou, who said ' you do the best you know, but when you know better you do better'. I think OP has dug her heals in and I think young Jedi found someone whom he could defend and used it to call a bunch of us idiots. Oh! well. After all the Jedi has an encyclopedic knowledge of reptiles, so he could never be wrong or have his emotions ill placed.

Mom has agreed to keep the snakes separate. The wild rat needs to be quarantined and is a little too young to breed anyway. If it's not a female, I'll have to find one elsewhere. She's also agreed to change the substrate to Aspen. But she has to have time first. Grandma is coming home today, and mom will have to help grandpa take care of her. While I probably could clean out the tank myself, mom probably might think I can't. All I need is someone to help me carry it.

Mom isn't as bad as that, she just knows nothing about snakes. When it comes to dogs, she knows a lot. What's funny is while she wants perfect snake babies, she saved one of the pups who had a birthing injury. Vet said it wasn't a birth defect, the pup just got wedged and didn't have a TNJ joint. The pup eventually had to have most of his lower jaw removed because the bone kept healing wrong. All the while he got neumonia, and other complications. Mom spend a crap load of money saving him. He made it. When other breeders would have culled him. However, he doesn't have a good life. He's locked up in a little room with an elderly boxer and only sees people when it's time for food or bathroom time. They are in there because they are destructive. Before the special needs dog (Masada) came along, the boxer (Oj) wasn't that bad. But with two males, one with a housebreaking problem, one starts territorial peeing. Masada likes chewing. Even though he has no lower teeth, he can still destroy stuff. He has to eat mushed food, which gets extremely messy. He gets food up his nose and sneezes when exited. Despite all this, he is very very sweet. But locked up in that room all the time, he became hyper more than usual. The boxer started losing weight drastically. Don't know if it's from stress or old age. Oj is only in there to keep Masada company. Masada was hand-reared from the moment he was born. He is used to being around people. I hate what mom and my stepdad have done for their "miracle dog". That's what they call him on their website. They show his survival, but not where he is now. I'm sure there are people who could give him the attention he deserves. Mom thinks no one would want him. Our other Mastiff with medical problems is Maggie (Affectionatly called Maggot). She is our only brindle. She got problems that the vet said would probably he fatal. I think they called it renal failure. I don't know how much money they put into her. But giving her special purified water turned her condition around. For saftey's sake, she will nolonger be a breeder. She lives in the house. She gets special treatment. Most breeders give or sell their old dogs who can't produce anymore. But mom says it's wrong to thrust Maggie's medical problems on someone. Hopefully Rose will have no health problems, she's the only other female who could go to another home. Her sister, Grace, is another story. Grace is mental. Anything "different" or "weird" sets her off barking. Strangers are greeted by ferocious barks. Of course, Grace won't attack anyone. She's too much if a coward. She gets Maggie and Lily crazy by barking. She's the ringleader of crazy things. I can set her off by just looking at her funny. On the other hand, she loves children. My sux year old
stepsister can walk her. She is loving, sweet, and a good snuggle buddy if you don't get near her feet. She likes to kick. She is a good mother. She doesn't trust my stepsister unless mom is with her. One time I had to care for her and the pups Aline and make sure she didn't sit on one or anything. She suddenly grabbed my arm in her jaws, but without hurting me. She gently shook my hand and growled. I had to earn her trust.
Our other female is a pup, Lily. She's hyper like a pup usually is. She's just a really big puppy. She will be the next breeding girl when she's two years old. Our male is Elijah. He is awesome and laid back. A complete contast to the girls. Everyone loves him. He's a good salesman. His only thing is he doesn't like it if you blow in his face. That's the six year old's fault. We used to have another male, Gabriel. But he ended up with one testicle not descending, and that is hereditary. We gave him to a nice family with kids to play with. I named Gabriel. And Maggie. Our name theme is religious. The other dog is mine, a twelve year old cocker mix named Lady. She's getting blind and deaf. But sometimes she still tries to act like a pup. Then we have an old rabbit in a smelly cage who gets no attention by the six year old who outgrew him. We have a Jenday Conure, Jay, who only likes my mom. He screams at anyone else. Though my name is the first he learned. You have to be trying to hear it when he says it though. We've got three cats. Blue, an old gray tailess thing who is kinda crazy. She tries to take bites of my cheeseburgers while I'm eating them! There's no use correcting her. You can't teach an old cat new tricks. Then there's Maya, a dilute colored gray cat with little orange blotches and white and cream belly. She's very skittish. Her favorite human is my mom. Then there's Danny, Maya's son. He's a hoot. He is obsessed with me. Me behind a closed door and him on the other side is a no-no. He has hyper spells in which he terrorizes his poor mother. And me. Who is usually trying to sleep.

And you already know about Jack.

So my mom isn't that horrible, she just knows zip about snakes and has too many animals. In my opinion, atleast.

And while the pet shop may be doing things wrong, it's out of ignorance, not malice. The woman who owns it is really nice. She loves animals. She's an old lady doing what she's always done and that's all there is to it. Changing stubborn older folks is a difficult thing to do, especially when they don't realize their doing something wrong. This lady is my best friend. I can confide things in her that I never can in my mother. She's the type if person who tells it like it is. She knows the secrets of the town. She may not know a customer's name, but she knows about them. She's nice to everyone who comes in her shop. She puts up with a lot idiots. Working with her is fun. So when I defend the shop, I'm not really defending her methods. I'm defending my friend. If she had a perfect shop, I'm sure you'd all like her.

I've played around with the CornCalc, and still nothing I can pair Jack with would make anything but normals and amels with hidden genetics. I'd have to breed the offspring together to get something, and I can't keep both offspring because I'm not getting rid of Jack until he dies or something awful happens. I see so many people not being able to keep there pets these days due to moving and stuff.

The reason I want to breed Jack with a black rat is
1) I love black rats.
2) While mom doesn't like black snakes, she likes the hybrids they make.
3) It won't just produce a normal or amel corn.
4) I like hybrids of stuff.

I've played around with the CornCalc, and still nothing I can pair Jack with would make anything but normals and amels with hidden genetics. I'd have to breed the offspring together to get something, and I can't keep both offspring because I'm not getting rid of Jack until he dies or something awful happens. I see so many people not being able to keep there pets these days due to moving and stuff.

The reason I want to breed Jack with a black rat is
1) I love black rats.
2) While mom doesn't like black snakes, she likes the hybrids they make.
3) It won't just produce a normal or amel corn.
4) I like hybrids of stuff.

I'm trying to understand, "both offspring"?? Can you post a pic or a link of the hybrid you are looking at for inspiration.

If your mom was so good with dogs, she would know that destructive dogs are bored dogs. No excuse for her giving them such a miserable life.....

Okay. Say if I bred my amel (unknown het) with a lavender (unknown het). Unless the parents are het lavender or amel respectively, the offspring will be normal het amel het lavender. To get something different, I'd have to breed the offspring for a chance at producing an opal. I cannot keep more than two snakes, so I cannot keep my amel and his mate plus two other snakes. As I am definately not getting rid of Jack, it would only produce more amels if I got rid of the lavender and kept one female offspring. It would be three years before another breeding can occur, unless I keep my amel and his mate. The offspring, regardless of if I were to keep them, would have to be old enough before I did so. It would be the same for any morph I could choose. Therefore, if I want a snake to breed my amel with that is not an amel, and I don't want normal offspring, it makes sense to get a ratsnake, or other colubrid to make a hybrid.

What all snakes are able to breed with a corn snake? I know kings can. And I know that With certain ones the gender of the other snake is important to avoid problems because some snakes hemipenes are bigger than others and thus uncompatable with the female. So keep in mind that I have a male corn.

Don't worry about running me off. I've had worse forum experiences.

Okay. Say if I bred my amel (unknown het) with a lavender (unknown het). Unless the parents are het lavender or amel respectively, the offspring will be normal het amel het lavender. To get something different, I'd have to breed the offspring for a chance at producing an opal. I cannot keep more than two snakes, so I cannot keep my amel and his mate plus two other snakes. As I am definately not getting rid of Jack, it would only produce more amels if I got rid of the lavender and kept one female offspring. It would be three years before another breeding can occur, unless I keep my amel and his mate. The offspring, regardless of if I were to keep them, would have to be old enough before I did so. It would be the same for any morph I could choose. Therefore, if I want a snake to breed my amel with that is not an amel, and I don't want normal offspring, it makes sense to get a ratsnake, or other colubrid to make a hybrid.

What all snakes are able to breed with a corn snake? I know kings can. And I know that With certain ones the gender of the other snake is important to avoid problems because some snakes hemipenes are bigger than others and thus uncompatable with the female. So keep in mind that I have a male corn.

Don't worry about running me off. I've had worse forum experiences.

I am glad we aren't running you off! Not to sound snotty, but this is the very best place to learn about corns on the whole internet! Seriously!! The people here are the most knowlegable and the best there are. We sometimes get a bit hot headed, because we are so passionate about these snakes.

Personally, I hate hybrids. Many people do. There is a market for them though, but as far as what to breed Jack to that would show something pretty in the first generation...I just don't know! Kings can breed to corns, but kings will also eat other snakes so breeding them can be very very tricky.

Do you have other friends who keep snakes?
If you do, and you like opals, you can do breeding loans or go into a type of partnership so that in the end you can keep a baby of the type you like. Just an idea.

Alternately you could breed your snake to an ultra or ultramel.
amel x ultra = ultramel
amel x ultramel = amel and ultramel.

Also, anery is a good hidden het to check for, since it is very widespread in the gene pool. You could get an ultra anery or ultramel anery (or ultra het aney, ultramel het anery) to produce the above results and test for anery at the same time.

I'm not a fan of hybrids so I can't comment much on them except to say that some pairings can be tricky to breed.

I know king snakes eat other snakes, and I'm not really fond of kings anyway.

Ultras and ultramels look very similar to amels. I want something completely different. I, personally, would be happy regardless of offspring. All snakes are beautiful to me. I just have preferences. My favorite morphs are lavenders, salmon snows, Miami motleys, and bloodreds. Are there any solid (or mostly) black corn snakes? Anerys and charcoals are mostly gray it seems. Their black markings often get lighter with age. On the contast, a black rat is gray with black markings when young and becomes practically completely black with age. Except for for ventral.

I don't have any friends who own corn snakes. Unless you count the petstore owner, who has a nine year old female normal named Sal. Don't know how that would work out with a three year old male... But I would love it if Jack and Sal could have babies though. Even though that would mean normals. Because I love Sal. Everyone loves Sal. Except for people who don't like snakes, they don't count. Everyone loves Charlie, her snow male too. My petstore friend has a friend with a bunch of snakes. But I don't know him. He's supposed to be an expert, but he's the one who brought in the wild snake. Ehhh... I guess we don't have anyone better around here...

You love miami motleys, huh?
Well none of the others will make the types of babies you want with your boy......if I were you I would beg to be able to get just one more snake....just one more...and get a pair of top shelf miami motleys from Carol. Her miamis are top notch.

I know they won't... And to ask that of mom is really pressing my luck. I can guarantee the answer would be no. Unless I can talk a friend of mine into keeping them for me, and mom would say that's wrong to have someone do that.

Then maybe you should consider stepping back and giving Jack the very best home possible, and think of acquiring more snakes and breeding when you are out of the house.....

Let me start by saying I have an understanding of Asperger's, I realize the problems.
If you breed your snake you will get more then one or two 'offspring', which is confusing what will you do with all the babies?
I feel like you want to take a poodle and breed it to a pit bull and get german shepards. You have an amel you say you love work with it.
I also know people with aspergers don't totally grasp a situation and may say things the way they see them, not necessarily what they are. Why if it is your snake does your Mom have to clean the tank?
As for your Mom if she treats her dogs the way you say she does, she does not love them. Locking a dog in a room with as you say little human contact is cruel.

After high school I took off a year and worked before starting college, so not jumping right into school is understandable. I can say with confidence that the grand majority of college students are working out emotional issues. I was certainly no exception.

I don't think parents are necessarily the best judges of their kids capabilities and capacity for understanding. I have two kids and it is hard for me to see them as anything other then my babies, granted the oldest is still seven and the youngest is two.

I think you should speak to an advisor and get stated learning what to expect from a college environment and curriculum. Maybe by taking the initiative and getting the ball rolling on your own future the parents will see you under a different light.

I don't really care that much about breeding. Mom does. She thinks she can sell the babies. I know that they can have a lot, and it's hard to sell that many. Every time I try to explain this to mom, she doesn't have time. Or she is tired and doesn't want to talk. Or she's on the computer. Or she's watching tv. Or something. Somehow I miss the chances where she isn't doing anything.

I don't mean cleaning, I mean completly changing the substrate. When I asked her when I could do it, she said when she could help. I could do it by myself, mostly. The tank is too heavy for me to pick up.

I understand cornsnake genetics, well, a good bit of it. Because I don't know the hidden genetics of my amel, it gives an unknown factor in breeding. When I was mentioning morphs, I was saying ones I like, not ones I want to make. Most morphs are recessive to normal. I thought I was making sense.

Great. Now that you know I have Asperger's, you'll doubt what I say. I'm not aware of Masada and Oj having any attention outside of having a few minutes to run and use the bathroom and eat. Elijah and Rose see my stepbrother when he's home. He lives in an itty bitty makeshift apartment in the dog barn. They get let out probably three or more times a day.

Mom would be so pissed off if she read this. I feel kinda bad...

If the problem is that you can't buy the things you need for another snake, I have a cost effective solution. Although it doesn't look as nice as a tank, you can house your second snake in a plastic tub. I paid $9 at walmart for a nice sized plastic tub, I drilled some holes on the lid and on the sides. I also bought an $11 thermometer and hydrometer and that's how I'm housing my two snakes(separate containers) until I can afford something nicer. Just an idea.

I honestly think it would be best for now for you to work on improving the conditions for the animals already in your house, rather than getting another corn and trying to breed them.
Most small scale breeders just about cover the costs of keeping their snakes each year. In bad years when the eggs don't hatch, you get kinked babies, hatchlings don't eat..you get nothing. Worst of all sometimes the female gets eggbound and dies.
Read through the old threads in the breeding subsection, it won't take long to see that along with all the great news we share with each others of our successes, every year some of us lose snakes, lose clutches, lose hatchings that don't thrive. There's nothing better than seeing your own corns hatching and growing, but there's nothing worse than when they don't make it or you have to euthanise your babies.
Please, enjoy the snake you have now, get the keeping conditions better, and save breeding for later.

I agree. Like I said before, a dog is only destructive if it's needs are not being met. Locking the dog up all day only makes the dog more miserable. Instead of getting another animal, both you and mommy dearest should be taking better care of what you already have.

Back