CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New snake owner in Brampton Ontario

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #41
ChaosSinceBirth
Not exactly. :P

Like I said, they need belly heat to digest, and so if you give her/him a warm bath, it will basically kick all of the digestive organs into a better gear, and thus encourage the snake to digest further and then poop.
After it's digested this one, you should stick with smaller meals, though, since they are easier for a snake to digest at one time - and if a snake has a meal in their stomach for too long without properly digesting, it will eventually rot inside the snake and cause the snake to regurgitate.

Just so you know, as long as you only feed one or two mice of the appropriate size (in this case we recommend a fuzzy each feeding) then you shouldn't have any problems with getting her/him to poop.
Most corn snakes, when fed right, will poop two or three days after they ate.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Korilon
ahhhh i understand

well I am having a problem regulating the temp right now cause the people upstairs controle the AC and blast it at random times.
I got a heating pad to put under the tank but i need to experiemnt witrh the heat settings not to burn her.

I may try the bath if i do not find any poo tonight

Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #43
ChaosSinceBirth
If you can gauge the temperature and it gets too hot, you can get a lamp dimmer from a place like Walmart for about ten bucks, and they are very useful. I use them to regulate my corn and my ball python (but on separate dimmers, obviously :P).
This is what mine looks like:

And I got it from Walmart.

Yup, but if you have a tub that you can bath him/her in, that might be better - especially if you don't know what the tub's been washed with, or if you know it's something that might be too toxic for snakes.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #44
ChaosSinceBirth
Sorry, the last bit made no sense: If you have a plastic tub, it's best to use it instead of the bathtub, since it could have been washed with something too toxic for snakes.
My bad. :P

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #45
Korilon
so to bath her do i just put her in and let her swim around??

Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #46
ChaosSinceBirth
I've never bathed a snake before, but I'd assume that you should put her in lukewarm water about an inch deep and let her move around. Might want to block her from getting out for a bit, and make sure to stay there with her and watch, just so nothing bad happens.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #47
Korilon
Awesome.

I will turn on the heating pad along with the light when i get home. hopefully that will help and i won't have to do the bath. rather not in case there are problems.

So should I skip the feeting for tonight? wait till she poos?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
ChaosSinceBirth
Yes, I would wait until she poops. After that, maybe give her an extra two days to recuperate before feeding her anything else.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #49
Korilon
well went for a trip to the pet store ti buy some fuzzy's for next feeding and of course ya can't go and not buy toys :P

I got a digital thermometer witha probe. so now I got one per end of the Viv.
I got a timer power bar for auto switching from day to night.
I set it for the day lite to come on at 6am and turn off at 10pm is that ok? then teh night turn on at 10pm and off at 6am

still no poo

what's a good night temp? right now it is 77 degrees on his house side. she is still in her house.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #50
ChaosSinceBirth
Nice!

It's really up to you what times night and day turn on or off, because to a corn snake it doesn't matter too much - since they're nocturnal. I heat my enclosure with just a heat pad, and it works brilliantly. But if you're using just the light for heat, than that schedule seems fair.

And 77 is about right for night temperatures, from what I've read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google