CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #121
amc28016
this is a BEAUTIFUL SNAKE! i just became a pet snake owner for the first time ever... any advice is welcome!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #122
amc28016
Question im a new pet corn snake owner... advice?

hello! i joined yesterday, and im so excited to be a part of this UNIQUE group! i just bought me a "California Corn Snake Hybrid" according to the pet shop... anyway, she is in a plastic pet cage, as recommended by the shop, and i placed a light in her cage to give off some heat.. (a night lite attachment), i also have a small log for her to curl up around a bowl of water, and some bedding... i fed her 2 pinkie live mice the day i got her... any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!....

Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #123
JennaJ
Hi amc28016, congrats on your new snake. I've heard of them, but I don't really know anything about King-Corn hybrids and if or how they differ from Corn snakes. Maybe someone else will chime in. Post some pictures, I'm interested to see what he looks like!

Assuming they have the same or similar needs as regular corns, heat from a light isn't really important for them so much as supplemental heat from below-- "Belly heat"-- to aid in digestion. Most people use a heat mat or heat tape with some kind of thermostat to regulate the temperatures.

As long as your bedding is safe (not pine, cedar or anything else smelly) and if you've got a heavy water bowl and a place for them to hide you should be all good. But, I did notice you said you are feeding live mice-- It's best for the snake, and more humane for the mice, if you feed frozen-thawed. Specifically, when the snake is older and eating adult mice, the snake can easily be injured by them.

Your quote is interesting and reminds me of one of the things in the bible that made me pull away from my faith-- Because Satan appeared to Eve as the serpent in the Garden of Eden, God told the snake, "You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life." (I looked it up, I don't have passages memorized!) Even as a young person I thought, "Err... no. That's not why snakes crawl on their bellies!"

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #124
Tavia
@amc, that mix of hybrid is also called a Jungle corn and I believe the care is about the same, Jungles usually get a bit bigger than the average corn snake, I believe. So might end up needing a bit larger enclosure. Good advice from JennaJ. The Stickied care threads in any of the sub forums should answer most any other questions you have, if they don't feel free to ask!

As an aside, that snake going forth on it's belly quote is the first prophecy in the Bible and was in reference to Satan not snakes in general.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #125
JennaJ
Latest pictures of my scalebaby.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #126
JeffJJ
yes, good

nice topic, thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google