CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #21
JennaJ
OK, thanks. I was hearing about relatively calm babies and was feeling left out. I'm sure with time she'll warm up to us. Any thoughts on how often to handle a baby?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
jonnyw
Hi there ive had my baby corn for about two months now and hes just getting the hang of handling, when we first started handling him he was very skitty, so I handled him over a bin for a few weeks just incase he darted off. The bin was never needed but it gave me a little more confidence, now he handles like a pro I just get him out a chill watching tele or summet while slithers around inspecting everything lol. as far ss handling frequency goes I get him out everynight at about 8pm and keep him out for about 30 - 45mins because he starts to get a bit grumpy lol. I would start with short short sessions about 10mins and just build it up as you and him gain confidence, just make sure you leave him for about 2 days after feeding .

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #23
Destarte
Jonny is right. Handle them in increasing amounts of time, and let them digest for 48 hours after feeding. Congrats on your BEAUTIFUL baby. I've always loved the motley pattern.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
JennaJ
Awesome, thanks. I did hold her over a bin the last time and noticed it did increase my confidence. When I'm handling her it sometimes feels like I'm the one who needs to "get better at it", not her :-) I've handled wild snakes before, but never a snake that was so tiny and so active!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
Naagas
I've only had one calm baby so don't feel bad.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
JennaJ
Possible "Oops"... watch and wait....

All is going well, from what I can tell...

I may have made a bit of a mistake though. I noticed she had started to become less active over the past couple days, and fed her without knowing that it's best not to feed during the shedding process. I don't know if she's in blue because when she's in her hide, I can't really see her at all or get at her (I really need to confiscate that log until she's too big to fit inside it...)

I guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope... It's been 24 hours now since she ate. Hopefully she's not "one of those snakes" that regurges when in shed. I guess I'm just posting this for the same reason we talk about things to make us feel better. Just needed some (knowledgeable) people to talk to. Don't worry everyone, I just bought Kathy Love's book...

Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
Tavia
I try not to feed my snakes when they are blue but have occasionally fed them when they were starting to shed, before their eyes went cloudy and it was hard to tell or sometimes I'd miss the cloudy eye phase and feed just before they shed, in that period when they clear up prior to shedding. I've never had any regurges from that. While it's good not to tempt fate, it should be fine.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
KingCrimson<3
My hypo who is now 2 years old and almost 4 feet long has never had a problem eating and digesting in shed. When he was a baby I handled him four days a week, handled only to move him to and from his feeding tub on the fifth day and left him completely alone for 48hours after feeding. He warmed up to me real quick, maybe three weeks and he was just the sweetest little thing. I like to keep handling sessions short, like 15-20 minutes and handle multiple times a day so they get used to being picked up.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #29
AliCat37
I know it is recommended not to feed when in blue, but I have never had a problem. If I notice they're blue before I thaw the mice I don't offer food, but if I already have it thawed I go ahead and offer. Some will eat, others flat out refuse. The only issue that may have arisen from feeding while in blue was a single bad shed I had with a corn over two years ago.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #30
JennaJ
She shed while I was at work today!! Pretty sure she didn't regurge, unless she hid it somewhere. Tomorrow afternoon it will be 48 hours after her meal and I'll be able to go in and check things out. Thanks everyone, for the reassurance!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google