CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #51
KingCrimson<3
What a cutie!!! It's pretty amazing how fast they grow. King Crimson was 12 grams when I got him two years ago. He weighed in 329 grams today. When he was little, I never saw him unless I got him out. He was in his hide or buried in the aspen pretty much all the time. About a year ago, he started getting more active. Now I see him cruising at night quite a bit. If I don't get him out for a few days, he'll make himself into a big red blotch in the middle of the tub wall until I poke at him or pull him out for a bit. Then he goes back to hiding like a normal snake.

When they start getting bigger, you have to be soooo much more careful when you have them out. when they are less than a foot long, you can watch the tail and let them explore. At a certain point, the tail gets very far away from the the head and the head starts getting in all sorts of trouble while the tail stays put, deceptively. Cherish Sneak while she is still little.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #52
JennaJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantress62 View Post
Hi Jenna, Sneaky is really beautiful and OMG! What great pictures you have taken of her. I envy you that ability. I can't take a decent picture to save my soul. lol I'm so new to this that I have no advice for you but I did enjoy your pictures and wanted to tell you how great I think she looks.
Thanks! I've found taking pictures requires a fair amount of planning! Lighting is the main issue, but also getting her to sit still (I let her settle under a hide, then slowly lift it off and start snapping!). I have yet to get ones in real, natural light. I'm so excited to watch how she grows and changes and to have a progression of pictures to show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Sneak is very nice looking! I have an anery too but he is black and silverish. I can't seem to get good pics either. I have to figure out the micro mode on my camera.
Thanks! It's good to get the feedback Since she's my first snake it's nice to hear that others can tell she's doing well. I like to think I'm a good first-time snake Mom ;-)

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #53
JennaJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrimson<3 View Post
What a cutie!!! It's pretty amazing how fast they grow. King Crimson was 12 grams when I got him two years ago. He weighed in 329 grams today. When he was little, I never saw him unless I got him out. He was in his hide or buried in the aspen pretty much all the time. About a year ago, he started getting more active. Now I see him cruising at night quite a bit. If I don't get him out for a few days, he'll make himself into a big red blotch in the middle of the tub wall until I poke at him or pull him out for a bit. Then he goes back to hiding like a normal snake.

When they start getting bigger, you have to be soooo much more careful when you have them out. when they are less than a foot long, you can watch the tail and let them explore. At a certain point, the tail gets very far away from the the head and the head starts getting in all sorts of trouble while the tail stays put, deceptively. Cherish Sneak while she is still little.
Isn't she?? I'm growing quite fond of her, and I feel like we're gaining mutual trust with each handling. I'm really having fun weighing her and watching her grow and change. As precious and adorable as she is now, I'm looking forward to her being bigger! Right now she feels so vulnerable! I'll like it when she's a bit calmer and easier to find

She's pretty variable as to when she's active. Mostly at night, obviously, but peeks out if there's something interesting going on. The other day we were playing a couple System of a Down songs (not too loud or anything) and she came out to see what was going on. Normally our apartment is pretty quiet. She just sat on top of her main hide with her head up slightly like she was listening

Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #54
Tiaret
Quote:
The other day we were playing a couple System of a Down songs (not too loud or anything) and she came out to see what was going on. Normally our apartment is pretty quiet. She just sat on top of her main hide with her head up slightly like she was listening
That's adorable.

She is a very pretty little snake.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #55
JennaJ
We've had her for 6 weeks today-- already she is only slightly flinching when I pick her up. She is making so much progress! It's really happening fast, I notice improvement with each handling. What a good girl

Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #56
JennaJ
Last night marked her 10th meal with us, and it was pretty awesome...

I had her pinky thawed, warm and ready to go and changed her water. I wasn't planning to handle her at all, but then decided I would since I accidentally shifted some of her "decor" and wanted to check that she was OK (she was under her hide). So, I took her out...

Really didn't flinch at all- she's pretty much used to being picked up already! The funny part was that I think she could already smell her food, which I had put in her tank right before picking her up. While holding her she was calm, but her body language was saying: "Uhh... Isn't it time to eat now? I can smell it... can I go eat please?"

We didn't hold her for long since I just wanted to adjust her "decor" before putting her back. As we let her slide off our hands into her tank, she approached her food, tongue-flicked a couple times, and then immediately started eating right in front of us! She hadn't even gotten her tail end off my husband's hand yet and she started chowing down! It was great for me especially, because it was my first time getting to watch her eat. But, we put the top on her tank and left her alone to finish

Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #57
schnebbles
how often are you feeding? I'm just curious b/c I think we came on here at about the same time and I haven't fed mine 10 times. I got my first 2 on 9/26.

She must have been hungry! I don't know if any of mine would do that or not, never tried. With my cats I usually get the snake out and put it in the bin to eat in and weight it, then I just drop the mouse in. I might try it different next time, I'd be curious if any of mine would do that.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #58
TnE95
Hello All,

I am a new (and very proud) snake owner, and I just joined the forum. I have an Anery Motley Corn, whom we have name Raj. I have found lots of helpful info and similar situations discussed that have helped me make sense of some of his behaviors and needs.

He has been a great little guy and has been easy to feed and care for. I almost posted a question about shedding last night, as he had not yet shed or shown signs of shedding and I have had him for 7 weeks and he has been eatinng and growing. He has progressively turned duller in color some, but no cloudy eyes.

I was almost thinking I had missed it, but I would have seen the shed skin for sure. I was getting pretty worried! Thankfully, today I came home and his eyes are cloudy !!!!

I am very glad that he may finally shed but need advise on building a "shed house" or any other way to make this process more confortable for the snake and for a nice, full shed. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #59
TnE95
Your snake and mine look like twins!

Good luck with everything, Im in the same exciting boat!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #60
JennaJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
how often are you feeding? I'm just curious b/c I think we came on here at about the same time and I haven't fed mine 10 times. I got my first 2 on 9/26.

She must have been hungry! I don't know if any of mine would do that or not, never tried. With my cats I usually get the snake out and put it in the bin to eat in and weight it, then I just drop the mouse in. I might try it different next time, I'd be curious if any of mine would do that.
I think she was quite hungry- her last pinky was a bit of a runt I'm feeding every 5 days at the moment. She's quite the champion digestor When she moves on to bigger pinkies or maybe fuzzies I'm thinking I'll bump it back to every 6 days. I don't know her hatch date, but I'm sure it was sometime in the last half of summer.

From what I have readfeeding every 3 or 4 days is "pushing"/"power feeding", but that every 5 days is OK for a hatchling. Do people think every 6 or 7 days is better?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google