CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #61
JennaJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnE95 View Post
Your snake and mine look like twins!

Good luck with everything, Im in the same exciting boat!
WOW, they really do!! They look like they could be clutch-mates!
Did you get yours from BHB too? Great pictures of your little guy, by the way. Wishing you much luck and fun

Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #62
schnebbles
It sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't want to over feed either. My 2 15 gms might be able to have a fuzzy soon. I love my snakes so much.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #63
visceralrepulsion
as a young hatchling every 5 days is fine according to the munson plan. then as prey size increases, the time between feedings can increase. heres the munson plan for you guys, its really helpful!:

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #64
TnE95
Thanks! I got mine at PetCo, complete with Snake Mites and all!! -SMH. I had to do some quick learning on how to quarantine Raj and get all his things treated and clear of mites. It took (as recommened) four complete cleanings (snake, hides, waterbowl, logs, lamps, thermometer and enclosure) every 3-4 days....and they still came back twice.

Those were the first 3 weeks of snake parenthood, but no sign of mites in over a month - besides, it was never an "infestation", I took care of it right away every time and if it happens again I consider myself a pro by now, lol.

I would not recommend PetCo as a good source for healthy snakes. I dont even think they ever fed mine, when I got him he was very little and thin. Cute as hell though, and he was a total impulse buy! I never planned to walk out with a full snake kit and pet Snake. I also never expected to be so crazy about a pet snake, but I am SUPER focused on him and cant wait to get home from work everyday to check on and handle him. lovin it...

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #65
Lyion
It seems you're doing good!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #66
visceralrepulsion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnE95 View Post
I would not recommend PetCo as a good source for healthy snakes. I dont even think they ever fed mine, when I got him he was very little and thin. Cute as hell though, and he was a total impulse buy! I never planned to walk out with a full snake kit and pet Snake. I also never expected to be so crazy about a pet snake, but I am SUPER focused on him and cant wait to get home from work everyday to check on and handle him. lovin it...
i see buying snakes from petco or likewise petstores as doing a good deed by rescuing them from such poor living conditions. when i got my yearling as a tiny hatchling from petco she was no bigger than your average sized drinking straw in girth. so i upped her to 2 pinks every 6 days and she has flourished nicely since. now shes a very healthy and well tempered snake. and i feel good about myself that i was able to take her out of a neglectful situation and save her and give her a happy, loving, and healthy home. pet store snakes need love too! i just wouldnt recommend them for very young first time snake owners because they may not have the time, knowledge or money to help a snake that may be sick. the moral is though, dont walk away from petstore snakes, they need your help just like an animal in a shelter does, and most all of them can be brought back to a healthy circumstance with the proper care and a loving home, so feel good for doing a good deed by rescuing a snake from poor conditions, no matter what the circumstances or where its being rescued from. =]

Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #67
visceralrepulsion
and as far as not knowing you could beome so attached to a snake, i totally understand! my snakes are like my babies now, and i never thought i could love something like a snake as much as i do. theyve become a major part of my world, theyre my pets, my hobby, etc. and i love them dearly. and no one except other snake owners can understand =p

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #68
TnE95
Hmm, I like your comment and that point of view. Hadn't thought about it that way, and I totally agree. I retract my statement, thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #69
juliegarner
i have had angel for about 5 weeks now and weighed her for the first time last night she is 10g now she is 10 weeks old and eating 1 pinky every 5-6 days she prefers to eat in the dark around 11.30 uk time and is still very flighty when i take her out but i love her to bits as do the rest of my family with the exception of my mother that is lol x

Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #70
JennaJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralrepulsion View Post
i see buying snakes from petco or likewise petstores as doing a good deed by rescuing them from such poor living conditions....the moral is though, dont walk away from petstore snakes, they need your help just like an animal in a shelter does, and most all of them can be brought back to a healthy circumstance with the proper care and a loving home...
This is a toughie, because by buying the snake you're increasing demand. After someone buys one of those poor unfortunate animals, the big box pet store acquires more snakes only to have them be neglected as well. But at the same time, you really can save them from what will probably be an unhappy, unhealthy life if you have the knowledge and are willing to put in the effort... and that's not something to ignore, either. I'm torn

Don't get me wrong, I do admire and appreciate what you've done in saving those little guys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google