CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Somewhat new member/Having issues with members

Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
Cyberduke
I kind of followed the argument here. And I do think that I should give my opinion here. As a new member(Total newbie, having corns for only about a month).

The first thing I did after getting my snakes was goggling a lot of corn snake questions.
Yes, there was a lot of answers that I still needed to find but I already knew enough not to let them die.

The questions that I did not get answers for was asked here and was answered friendly and I had no feeling that I was being rude to.

What I do suggest for newbies(such as me) is googling all their questions before asking as a lot of questions can easily be solved by a simple google search or reading a newbie guide on basic care. We should try not to unnecessary ask stupid questions that the answers can easily be found.

I do believe (out of experience) that if you really tried hard to find the answer before posting it, that it will be answered friendly by the more experienced members.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
morning bell
remember this is a forum for snake lovers. lol.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralrepulsion View Post
My conflicts with other forum members have been in the cases of someone implying, in/not in so many words, that their snakes were somehow better because they are "designer" morphs, or from such & such breeder, and not a crappy little snake like little Timmy's petstore one. Or, when others have talked in a disparaging manner as to imply, intuitively, intentionally, or unknowingly that someone is not as intelligent as they are based on THEIR "phrasing" & "word usage". ETC. ETC.
I don't see this being anything than further than the truth. When people state that they have gotten a snake such and such store and it has a problem then yes they will be advised to see a private breeder for their next snake. Are we always going to prefer someone buy a snake from a private breeder? Yes because that breeder generally cares for they snakes were pet stores don't usually. And they are usually healthier.

Look at all of the look at this treasure I found at (big box) store threads. And even if they are normals we all love to see those beauties to. Check out the "My Gimmy" thread I posted yesterday. I was proud to show of my normal, not designer baby. And when you see I got this baby from so and so. I think is way to promote the person you got it from. Believe me if someone got a snake from a breeder that was not top notch you would not see that.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
beautifullywild77
I got a lot of heat for buying a snake from Petco, and told to go to reptile shows or get from a breeders! I dont think it matters where you got your snake as long as you love them and care for them properly! I have seen what Vis is talking about. I browsed this forum and truly was afraid to ask questions at first because of some of the responses given to other newbies!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #35
BloodyBaroness
-sigh-

So much of the "misunderstanding" comes from wording choice and how you read the thread. If you go into every response looking for an insult, or expecting a fight, most times you will find it. Honestly I doubt the person replying to the thread bothered to read it back to them selves before they posted. Many, many times I start to write something and figure maybe it could be read a little more harsh than it is, so I edit a bit.

However, sometimes I post things that are intentionally harsh because clearly someone is not getting it, not listening, not caring, so it's time for a little tough love. Those times are typically prefaced with a "This is going to be harsh but..."

More often that not people are just tried of repeating themselves on easily answered/searched questions. I know Bitsy for one is AMAZING with new members. She has a ton of experience and is a great source of knowledge.

Where you also run into problems is when you post sound, solid, tried and true tested information and someone says "well I found this care sheet that says corn can eat carrots so imma do that instead." People tend to get a bit angry when a person follows clearly BAD advice blindly. All of us here are very dedicated to our animals. There is a reason behind the recommendations, considerations, and advice that is given out.

That brings me back around to if every single thing comes off as an insult you have to wonder if it's you? Are you reading things looking for a conflict? Take a breath and re-read the offending post. Consider maybe it's not someone being snippy, but rather someone passionate about their animals trying to convey that.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #36
Nanci
The reason "we" are down on petstore snakes, as a general rule, is because those babies come from wholesalers, sometimes right out of the egg. There is no guarantee they have ever eaten. The staff at most big box stores don't have the foggiest idea of how to start a hatchling, or how to even pick up a hatchling. The hatchlings are cohabbed, not heated properly, fed crickets, covered with mites- it is one thing for an experienced snake keeper to spot a gem and whisk it out of a pet shop before too much damage can be done, but a whole other thing for a new keeper to try to start off with a snake that may be compromised by mites and may have never eaten in its life. So when things go down hill, the first place that person turns is here, and we have to try to rescue the snake remotely, and trust me, that person loves the doomed new baby snake with all their heart.

If you buy from a breeder, let's look at my babies for example. They get handled at least every five days. They eat, willingly, with no tricks, FT, every single time. They have a health guarantee and tech support. They are guaranteed to get to your home and thrive, or I will do whatever it takes to make sure they do.

It is true, breeders' names get mentioned. People like to get credit for the babies they produce. People who like a snake know where to look now or the next season to get one like it. It isn't so much showing off what you have as bragging up the person who made it, if that makes sense. Because it takes planning and luck and hard work to make snakes you can be proud of.

Now, normals. If you look at the Most Prized thread, you will see that the one snake I will run into a burning building and save, the snake I would keep if I could only have one, is a normal.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #37
Nanci
So I'm not saying a "big box" store snake can't do just fine. Many can and do. And are loved just as much as "famous maker" snakes. But it _is_ a risk we want people to be aware of. The snakes themselves aren't faulty, it's the whole snake mill aspect that makes them risky to deal with.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #38
beautifullywild77
I have to admit, Piglet was thin when we got him and we did nurse him back to health. We also lucked out with him being a coral snow and paradox. We got lucky. I havent bought another snake from petco or any big name stores.

I have gotten to rescues from a mom and pop local pet store that we have nursed back to health. both of which are pythons. one a ball and one spotted.

I bought 2 corns from this same shop that have came in as trades, both are really healthly. They are shy eaters and takes a lot patiences when feeding. Both are healthy

I recently recieved 2 boblings for Bob that I have to admit were perfect and bigger than the ones I bought previously. Both eat perfect and great temperment I also recieved in the same delievery a yearling from Rob.

I will admit now I will not buy from Petco unless I found one I absolutely had to have. I plan on next season getting a few more boblings.

I got the prettiest lil normal from Bob, she is amazing! And she was a last minute pick!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #39
beautifullywild77
But reading the BOI, (thank you Nanci for showing me that) there are some breeders you wouldnt want to buy from either!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #40
Khena
I bought a snake from a pet shop, a mom and pop shop which I mistakenly thought was safer. I got a sick snake, and it died on me, despite my best efforts. It was very painful, and not something I would wish on anyone. So I will always recommend a breeder with a good reputation instead of a pet store.

And on to the actual topic of this thread, I have seen some of what you are talking about. Some topics are just more volatile and people feel strongly about the topic. I can understand that. I did receive one response when I was trying to help my snake that really really hurt. But I went back and read it today, and it wasn't half as bad as I had thought when I was already upset. When someone is already worried and upset about their snake or husbandry, it's much easier to take things wrong because you emotions are high. Just like it's easy to dismiss someone's seemingly paltry worries when a question has been asked a thousand times before.

And I did ask a few stupid questions, simply because I worry. I knew the answer, but I wanted reassurance I was doing the right thing. Sorry to all you who had to put up with me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google