CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New member and baby corn snake! (Pic heavy)

Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
nancyg
OMG soooo tiny and cute!
Welcome to the forums!!
If you have a small bright flashlight, you could try candling to make a guess at the gender, I think with your little girl/guy being so small and light colored you may be able to tell.. Plus I learned with a snow/blizzard baby that you can also see the heart and lungs working (sooo cool!)

Someone here on the forums mentioned candling their hatchling as a preliminary guess on gender (to be verified later) .
If I remember right, the hemipenes are right behind the cloaca, So there should be a pocket there, or a spot that should show up when you shine the light from the side..
Can someone who has experience with this confirm this?

I know you are holding off on naming, but are you leaning toward any names?

Nancy

Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg View Post
OMG soooo tiny and cute!
Welcome to the forums!!
If you have a small bright flashlight, you could try candling to make a guess at the gender, I think with your little girl/guy being so small and light colored you may be able to tell.. Plus I learned with a snow/blizzard baby that you can also see the heart and lungs working (sooo cool!)

Someone here on the forums mentioned candling their hatchling as a preliminary guess on gender (to be verified later) .
If I remember right, the hemipenes are right behind the cloaca, So there should be a pocket there, or a spot that should show up when you shine the light from the side..
Can someone who has experience with this confirm this?

I know you are holding off on naming, but are you leaning toward any names?

Nancy

Awesome tip!! I will defiantly try that in a couple days after it's got acclimated to it's cage! I haven't really thought of any names yet but hopefully I'll be able to get some going. But all of my friends keep suggesting Harry Potter ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
gelshark
Another Colorado person! Sweet!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
Another Colorado person! Sweet!

Yeah!! Are there a lot of people from CO on here?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
Jtmatsumoto
Small update: Caught this little one cruising around it's viv last night. Can't wait to attempt it's first feed in a couple days. I'll be uploading some more pics soon!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
ravendance
That blue light is so cool!! Just curious, does the blue light hurt the snakes eyes? (Just curious)

Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravendance View Post
That blue light is so cool!! Just curious, does the blue light hurt the snakes eyes? (Just curious)

I don't believe so! Some manufacturers of blue and red bulbs often claim reptiles can't see the light at all because of the frequency but I noticed my snake looking at it a couple times. If anything I would think it's comparable to moonlight and it doesn't seem to harm my snakes activity level at all. I only leave it on for a little while after turning off the daytime bulb I use. It's just so I can spy on the little guy (:

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #18
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravendance View Post
UV lights can hurt a corn's eyes, especially amels. They are albino, and don't have the pigmentation to protect them from the rays, much like human albinos. They can be blinded by the UV lights in extreme cases.

I like the blue, I want to try different color lights with all my different colored kiddos.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
UV lights can hurt a corn's eyes, especially amels. They are albino, and don't have the pigmentation to protect them from the rays, much like human albinos. They can be blinded by the UV lights in extreme cases.

I like the blue, I want to try different color lights with all my different colored kiddos.

Thanks for the info! I've also read UV is harmful to snakes eyes plus nocturnal ones like corns don't need UV anyways.

That's a really awesome idea. I've yet to use a red light for any of my reptiles but I'm sure it would be awesome! Especially for one coming from a desert environment!! Have you seen any colors besides blue and red that can be used for night?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #20
Jtmatsumoto
Another update: First feed was successful!! After I fed my new baby it made its way over to the warm hide I have placed above the UTH (first time I've seen it use it's warm hide so I'm pretty excited it's comfortable and regulating temperatures properly!!).

Since it's so tiny I'm probably going to wait till after it's next feeding until I start handling. Would this be alright or should I start handling in 3 days so it doesn't develop a temper?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google