CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New member and baby corn snake! (Pic heavy)

Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
hypnoctopus
It's up to you, but I would wait at least 3 days or until you see a poop. I don't think she will develop a temper by not being handled for a little while.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #22
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
It's up to you, but I would wait at least 3 days or until you see a poop. I don't think she will develop a temper by not being handled for a little while.

Sounds good! And should I try to raise the temps a little bit while it's digesting? The viv has been about 77 on the cold side and 82 on the warm during the day. Towards night it's been about 74 and 79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
Jtmatsumoto
I thought my little one needed some more places to hide so I enhanced it's viv a little bit!

Here's what it looked like before:

And after:

I put some sphagnum moss in the bottom of this new accessory to serve as a constant humid hide:

Different angle (I got this bogwood piece for only $16.99 at Petsmart. I thought it was very reasonably priced!):

Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
Genlisae
Your vivarium is beautiful as is your snake. Great job!

I stumbled on this as a new snake person myself and though I would pass it along since that last pic of the log hide scares me a bit. Log of Horrors.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genlisae View Post
Your vivarium is beautiful as is your snake. Great job!

I stumbled on this as a new snake person myself and though I would pass it along since that last pic of the log hide scares me a bit. Log of Horrors.

Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing! I noticed it was hollowed out on the top and was wondering. I know my viv is secured so if my snake does go missing it would eventually come back out looking for food right? I really like the log but I don't want to risk the snakes safety!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
hypnoctopus
It looks really great, but I agree about not using that log. A lot of members here have had problems with baby corns going into it and not coming out.

Your viv still looks really awesome though! It looks like a paradise for a baby corn. You could raise the heat on the warm side a little, to maybe 85-87 degrees, but I don't think your current temperature will cause any issues.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #27
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
It looks really great, but I agree about not using that log. A lot of members here have had problems with baby corns going into it and not coming out.

Your viv still looks really awesome though! It looks like a paradise for a baby corn. You could raise the heat on the warm side a little, to maybe 85-87 degrees, but I don't think your current temperature will cause any issues.

I'm defiantly going to take it back as soon as I get home. I went out for dinner and now I'm praying it didn't make it's way over to the cold side. It has been on the warm side since I fed it yesterday so fingers crossed!!!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #28
hypnoctopus
It will probably be fine.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
Phruit Dish
There are some really neat LED options for color-changing light out there. I hope to install some of that in the 20 long I'm constructing. There are options at Ikea, home improvement stores, Amazon, and eBay. Just ensure you get something that plugs into the wall. For some options, you may need to purchase a separate adapter.

I had the 'hide log of horrors' too at first and ended up returning it. So sad...if only it was properly constructed, it would be an amazing hide. Corns really do seem to love it. But I decided to err on the side of caution and choose something else. I found some really amazing options looking through their mopani wood and cork hides.

Have you had a chance to upgrade your thermometers and add a thermostat yet?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
It will probably be fine.

You were right! I was able to retrieve the piece and it exchange it. Here's what I got instead:

Side view:

Top view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phruit Dish View Post
There are some really neat LED options for color-changing light out there. I hope to install some of that in the 20 long I'm constructing. There are options at Ikea, home improvement stores, Amazon, and eBay. Just ensure you get something that plugs into the wall. For some options, you may need to purchase a separate adapter.

I had the 'hide log of horrors' too at first and ended up returning it. So sad...if only it was properly constructed, it would be an amazing hide. Corns really do seem to love it. But I decided to err on the side of caution and choose something else. I found some really amazing options looking through their mopani wood and cork hides.

Have you had a chance to upgrade your thermometers and add a thermostat yet?

I'll defiantly look into that! And I agree. It was one of the coolest looking hides I've seen. It really is a shame it wasn't built better. I went with a mopani one that matches the other one I have on the warm side.

I still haven't had a chance with removing the stick ones I'm currently using but hopefully on Monday I will! Do you have any recommendations for a good one? And I probably won't get a thermostat at least until winter. I've notice the UTH I have doesn't get to hot either and I have a little extra substrate on the glass over it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google