CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #41
Karl_Mcknight
I feed Rufus every sunday morning and he poops every wednesday. He's very regular you might say.

As far as how often you should handle him and how long you should wait ....etc....... Every person is different and every snake is different.

Rufus is the sweetest snake I've ever raised, (and I've had many over the years). I handle him on Sunday mornings right before I feed him. I have to transfer him to his Feeding Container so I go ahead and play with him a bit. No problem. "He Knows" exactly what that feeding container is. As soon as I place him in it, he starts looking for the Mouse.

After I feed him, I have to get him back into his home. I pick him up and put him in his main cage. No problem.

So today is Monday, I fed him Yesterday morning. Some people will say wait 2 days before you touch him again. But he's wrapped around my arm right now. And no I did not yank him from his cage, I simply opened the door and crawled out on his own into my hands.

Handling your snake may differ. "They" will let you know what they like and dislike. Just pay attention to their behaviors.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #42
DollysMom
Good news all around. So glad you got the heating set up and that the breeder took the heat lamp back. The temp is measured on the glass under the substrate. They will burrow down if the surface is to cool, and I can confirm that from experience.

A mamba, eh? I like my mambas behind a thick piece of glass!

Slinky seems to be on the larger side, but there is no clear correlation between age and size so Slinky is Slinky sized.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #43
kdickens
Karl ... Rufus seems to be a really cool snake! I'm sure you're enjoying him.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #44
Haight
Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the way you put it Dollysmom "Slinky Sized". I like the UTH setup much better but I think I need to get a better controller. The Zilla 500 Watt controller that I got does not seem to keep it at the temp that I set. Took a little bit of trial and error with the other digital thermo to get it set right. I was also reading reviews that this thing has a tendency to malfunction. I am considering forking out a bit more money for a better one. Any recommendations?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #45
Haight
Maybe a rheostat would be the better way to go? I would imagine that it would be much easier to keep it at one temperature. This controller fluctuates +- 3-4* every 10 minutes.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #46
DollysMom
Search on Amazon for Hydrofarm Thermostat or (I think) Apollo thermostat. If the Hydrofarm says "jump start" on it don't let that throw you.

All the inexpensive thermostats will hold a range, not an exact temp. They are go on when too cool and off when too hot. Mine is the Hydrofarm and it ranges from 83 to 87. The thermostat you currently have probably works the same way so set it for the range, with 84 or 85 in the middle of the range. Fine tune it up or down as needed until it ranges at the temps you want.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #47
Haight
is 90* too hot at the glass? Where I have it set now it will drop to 78ish then kick on and doesn't turn off until 90ish...I saw the hydrofarm one on amazon but 8% of the 800 reviews said it stopped working pretty quickly. I don't want to take any risks.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #48
DollysMom
P.S. The really good thermostat is called a Herpstat. It will hold an exact temp. Be prepared to spend more serious money for it. There are a number of models, too.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #49
DollysMom
I like to keep it below 88. Many of us here use the Hydrofarm. It is really a matter of money. Someday I'd like a Herpstat, too!

Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #50
Karl_Mcknight
I don't use a thermostat for that reason. I use a Rheostat. It took me about 2 hours to get it dialed in, but once i finally got it set, the temp stays put.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google