CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Tool to put holes in Sterilite?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
DLena
You're very funny! Did you do the holes just along the upper end,nor also around the middle. I was going to put them both places.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Rich Z
When I was drilling zillions of holes in rigid plastic shoe box and sweater box tops, I found that I got the best results out of using a two flute end mill bit. Of course, I was using a drill press, too, so that might make a difference using a flat cutting bit. Slow drilling speed worked better than a fast speed.

I had made up a template to mark holes on one inch centers on the tops.

But even with the holes in the lids, it was tough to try to shed the humidity in those boxes if you had a snake that insisted in spilling the water dish regularly. With those malcontents, I had to drill holes into the sides of the boxes to help keep it reasonably dry inside. But not so low on the sides so that water could leak out.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 AM   #13
DLena
Gypsy's not living in it, it's for feeding purposes only, so humidity won't become an issue. She refuses to eat in her viv. She's a "take me out to dinner" kind of gal.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

But even with the holes in the lids, it was tough to try to shed the humidity in those boxes if you had a snake that insisted in spilling the water dish regularly. With those malcontents, I had to drill holes into the sides of the boxes to help keep it reasonably dry inside. But not so low on the sides so that water could leak out.
I have one of those (Milky Milksnake). I put his water bowl in a 9" deli, with two 3" diameter holes in the lid; one over the bowl, one outside the bowl. It works really well!

Old 03-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #15
Nanci
I do three rows of holes around the top, about 1.5" in width (the band of holes) varying from .5 to 1.0 " apart. When I first started doing it, there were more holes. Now if I have to do 16 at a time, there are less holes :-)

Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #16
stryker2004
A drill or soldering iron will work. The only issue I've had with drilling is how rough it is but sandpaper can remove that and cracking if you don't take it slow. Walmart carries soldering irons for 7 to 10 bucks and will leave a nice smooth hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Dragonling
Now here's a related question...I'm attempting to make lay boxes, but have no idea how to punch out large smooth hole in 6 quart tubs. Any tips there?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #18
HerpsOfNM
If you're using something like Sterilite or Rubbermaid 6 quart tubs, you can still use a soldering iron to punch a large hole. Just go slow to keep the iron tip hot enough to melt. The other option is picking up a small diameter hole saw for a drill. Either way, I usually make about 1.75-2 inch wide holes for my lay boxes, placed in the lid so momma snake pushes the least amount of moisten substrate out.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
DLena
I picked up a soldering iron from Walmart for $10. I love making holes! It's actually very relaxing. The fumes aren't bad at all, so I do it while watching tv, usually Lucifer or Big Bang Theory... I made a feeding bin for Pernix and Walter, too, but I did the holes in flower designs! Lol.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #20
karma279
I'm sure this has been mentioned 1000 times... But do them with either a cheap soldering iron... or heat up a drill bit quickly with a butane lighter and knock out about 4 holes and heat it back up real quick again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google