CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Large snake hide

Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
DollysMom
Thank you for the video and the details. I think you've answered most of my questions and the rest I can figure out myself.

Very nice work!

Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
DLena
That's an excellent project.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
Dragonling
Wow, the result looks like something you'd buy at any pet store. I may have to keep this in mind if I ever get into lizards.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Wow, the result looks like something you'd buy at any pet store. I may have to keep this in mind if I ever get into lizards.
I'll modify that a bit. That's better than what you'd buy in most pet stores!

(However, I did find a large hide from PetSmart that I really like and even better that Mandy likes http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habi...pfm%3Dcategory )

IME most of the commercially made larger hides are poorly made with lots of rough spots and either too large, too small, or too open. I ordered and sent back 2 large ExoTerra hides I bought from Amazon due to roughness and poor quality control.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
jet_set_willy
Third and fourth coats applied as it was so warm the third coat dried after just a couple of hours.

My 2 daughters wanted to get in on the action so they both made a cave each

Old 07-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
BeauBoi
Hi! Awesome job! It looks great! I was wondering, did you mix the grout with water or did you use the polymer grout compound? The reason I ask, is that I put my first coat of grout on a back-board, and it was really funny and didn't cover very well. I went out and got some of the polymer, but haven't tried it yet. I was just wondering.
Thanks,
~Beau

Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
DollysMom
Wow, just beautiful. Looking forward to the next installment!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
DLena
Your daughters could have a sweet side-business going! Tell them their work is both useful and creative... A snake would love to hang out in them!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
jet_set_willy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBoi View Post
Hi! Awesome job! It looks great! I was wondering, did you mix the grout with water or did you use the polymer grout compound? The reason I ask, is that I put my first coat of grout on a back-board, and it was really funny and didn't cover very well. I went out and got some of the polymer, but haven't tried it yet. I was just wondering.
Thanks,
~Beau
I just used water and the first coat is quite runny and doesn't cover flat area's to well but gets in all the knooks and crannies.

The second coat is more of a Mcdondalds milkshake thickness and coats much better.

No problems with subsequent coats as they know have a base to build on.

I did think of adding pva to the mix but decided not to incase I decide to paint it.

PVA will be last to seal it all.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
jet_set_willy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
Your daughters could have a sweet side-business going! Tell them their work is both useful and creative... A snake would love to hang out in them!
Lol my youngest (7) wants to make a model of the Roman Colosseum now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google